Why can't Roger use OpenMRS Talk?

@r_friedman,

I created this topic for two reasons:

1. To try out OpenMRS Talk within IE 11. Seems to be working okay.
  2. To give you a place to talk and earn some more OpenMRS Talk credit, so you can post images. :smile:

FYI – in the meantime, there is always http://snag.gy :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Here’s to solving the mystery! :wine_glass:

1 Like

IE9 I can’t log in, either in talk/omrs.org or id/omrs.org. I have an open support ticket relating to it.

Discourse recommends the following for using the software:

• Internet Explorer 10+
  • Google Chrome 24+
  • Firefox 14+
  • Safari 5.1+

They do technically support Internet Explorer 9, but some functionality will be unavoidably broken. Let’s figure out what specifically is not working regarding sign in, and see if we can diagnose why.

Regarding posting images, there are some basic restrictions for brand new users, to prevent spam:

• Maximum number of replies a new user can make in a single topic until someone replies to them: 3
  • Maximum number of @name notifications a new user can use in a post: 2
  • How many links a new user can add to a post: 2
  • How many images a new user can add to a post: 0
  • How many attachments a new user can add to a post: 0

The following thresholds must be met to move from “new user” to “basic user”, at which point the above restrictions no longer apply:

• How many topics a new user must enter: 5
  • How many posts a new user must read: 30
  • How many minutes a new user must read posts: 10

Hope this is helpful. :slight_smile:

Strange. I’m replying from within IE9 now.

I’m guessing it’s a sign in problem specific to @r_friedman’s account, since I am using IE9 without any noticeable issues (other than being in Windoze, of course :stuck_out_tongue:). Log in was seamless, replying, copy-to-reply, etc. all are working as expected.

I’m guessing it’s probably related to the if (username == 'r_friedman') ... line in OpenMRS ID. :smile:

1 Like

So maybe the problem is that my OMRS login is r.friedman and that has become r_friedman.

@r_friedman 
 I assume you have successfully signed in with a different browser (Chrome?) and so far that’s how you’ve been using the site, yes?

Right, it worked on my chromebook. I have just tried r.friedman, r_friedman, roger.friedman on IE9 without success on talk/omrs.org. On id/omrs.org, clicking the Login button has no effect. Will try via Ubuntu/Firefox when I get to a stopping point.

1 Like

When you click the blue “Sign In” button here on this site, you should be redirected to https://id.openmrs.org/ to sign in there, and then once doing so, you would be redirected back here with an active session.

A few clarification questions:

Question 1: When you click the blue “Sign In” button here on this site, are you seeing a page with the instructions “Log in with your OpenMRS ID to access OpenMRS Talk. If you don’t have one, please sign up here”? When you click the green “Login with OpenMRS ID” button there, what behavior do you see?

Question 2: If you first go to https://id.openmrs.org/ and click the purple “Log In” button, what happens? Once logged in there, you should be able to click the blue “Sign In” button here on this site and be signed in automatically.

Question 3: If you go to https://id.openmrs.org/login and click the green “Login with OpenMRS ID” button, what happens? Once logged in there, you should be able to click the blue “Sign In” button here on this site and be signed in automatically.

Thanks for your patience.

See below. Works in IE11, I can probably upgrade. In IE9, when I type r_friedman, the _ doesn’t appear. Everything seems to work in Ubuntu 12.04/Firefox 30.0

Hi @r_friedman 
 looks like we may have your IE signin issues fixed soon if the changes were not already deployed by @elliott.

By the way, if you view 19 more replies, and view 4 more topics, you should have all basic privileges on here. :slight_smile:

So privileges are now badges??

Not exactly. Badges are automatically issued by the system at various points when certain things are “accomplished” 
 separate thing from new user anti-spam techniques.

That said, you’d receive the “Basic” badge automatically once you’ve viewed enough topics & replies. We haven’t really done much with badges other than what’s default in the system.

All the current badges available are listed at: OpenMRS Talk