Volunteer to be the Point of Contact for Platform 2.0 Release

Hi OpenMRS Devs In November 2015, we are planning to release OpenMRS Platform 2.0. We are looking for 2 volunteers to become the Point of Contact for the following tasks mentioned in our Techinical Roadmap for Platform 2.0.

1. Removal of deprecated core methods
  2. Retire Problem Lists

#Point of Contact : Removal of deprecated core methods# Since, this is a major release, it gives us the opportunity to clean up our code base and provide a fresh foundation to future releases. This is probably the most important part of the process that needs to be completed for a timely release. The milestone for this release involves removal of deprecated methods that have accumulated at different places in our core API over the last few years. As the Point of Contact for this task, you will be the leader of the development activities involved with the removal of deprecated methods from the API and replacing them with suitable new/existing API methods. This will also include coordinating with the community to organize sprints or Hackathons to meet the schedule. It is a good opportunity for someone aspiring to be a dev/3/ or dev/4/.

#Point of Contact : Retire Problem Lists# Active List were introduced in OpenMRS 1.7 to support faster retrieval of observation data for patients. In general, the active_list table holds the general properties while allergy and problem tables add on specific properties relevant to those objects. We want to retire the problem list table and its use in the core API before releasing Platform 2.0. @dkayiwa is leading the task of migrating allergies into core and we are currently looking for a volunteer to take up the role of Point of Contact for the task of removing problem lists from core. This is a great opportunity for someone with prior experience with OpenMRS API such as a dev/2/ or dev/3/ to become a dev/3/ or dev/4/ respectively. As the Point of Contact, you will be leading the development activities required to retire Problem Lists and participating in the weekly Project Management Meetings to share the progress and help in a timely release of Platform 2.0.

You won’t be doing this alone as the team will be here to support you to identify the priority needs for the task. To volunteer to be the Point of Contact for removing deprecated methods or retiring problem lists, reply to this message or reach out directly to @maany

Here are some resources to learn more about Allergy/Problem lists: https://wiki.openmrs.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=27690285 https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Allergy+and+Problem+Lists https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/archive/Support+for+Active+Lists

3 Likes

This is a gentle reminder that we are still looking for two volunteers to fill up the positions of Point of Contact for Platform 2.0 Release. The soft deadline for this is Monday, September 14, 2015. Please reply to this thread if you are interested to become a volunteer or would like to know more about anything related to these positions.

1 Like

I will volunteer. Thanks

2 Likes

That’s awesome @jdegraft. Thanks for your interest. I will get in touch with you soon. It would be great if you could join us in the next Project Management Call on Monday, September 21, from 3-4pm UTC. Also, could you share your preference among managing the tasks related to retiring Problem Lists or those under removal of deprecated core methods?

@All : We are still looking for volunteers. If you are interested kindly reply to this topic and we will provide you with the details.

1 Like

Hi @maany,

I am currently working on TRUNK-4747, which version of openmrs-core, 1.11.x etc do I make my changes to?

Thanks

James deGraft-Johnson

2 Likes

Thanks again @jdegraft for helping with the migration of Allergies in core! :smiley: @All, we are still looking for a volunteer to lead the task of removal of deprecated methods from core. Please reply to this post if you would be interested :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, @jdegraft for your help!

@wyclif, @raff, @dkayiwa: we will need to make sure that someone take ownership for the important task of removing deprecated methods. I imagine it would start as a spike and then likely define a sprint on getting the work done. Shake the trees for volunteers or we’ll need to pick straws for owning this high priority milestone.

@jdegraft Sorry, I know it’s late, but I hope you are making changes to master as the fixVersion for TRUNK-4747 is Platform 2.0 :slight_smile:

@maany, we decided that @dkayiwa would spike on removing deprecated methods (i.e., spend a few days to identify which modules might still be using deprecated methods by looking at CI logs and/or compiling locally and, if there aren’t many, try to build a version of the platform with all deprecated methods removed), so we understand the scope of work required & implications for modules.

Did you already create a ticket for this task? I thought I saw one before, but couldn’t find it when I searched today.

@burke We did not have a ticket for it, @dkayiwa has created one here :
https://issues.openmrs.org/browse/TRUNK-4772 I’m just back from exams, hence the delay :slight_smile:

@dkayiwa thanks for taking up this massive task \m/ :+1:

1 Like