Visas for OMRS19 Conference

fyi, we’ve received the email about the Visa for entry to Mozambique and had a few questions. The letter says that the cost is $50, but according to the Mozambique US embassy web site, for travelers from the US is appears to be $160:

https://usa.embamoc.gov.mz/index.php/en/visa/

Take care, Mark

1 Like

cc @christine

Discussions on Trip Advisor suggest Mozambique has Visa On Arrival and the embassies are disincentivized to share this, since they depend on visa applications for income. More recent conversation (within the last few months on that thread) still confirm Visa On Arrival and suggest you might even be able to pay via credit card. The all-knowing Wikipedia also states they have Visa On Arrival.

1 Like

Thanks @burke, my concern is: “Citizens of all countries can obtain a visa on arrival at all border posts if they have documentation to prove they are traveling for leisure purposes (return ticket, accommodation confirmation or invitation letter).”

As we are going to show up with a letter saying we are going to a conference, does that count as leisure purposes?

We will call the embassy to clarify, will post what we hear here.

Take care, Mark

Confirmed from embassy, at least for US travels:

• Visa at the border is fine
  • $110 USD
  • Provide: printed out itinerary with returning flight, letter of invitation, hotel reservation information

Perfect timing! The OMRS19 planning team went over this yesterday.

The recommended and ideal way to secure a visa is through the Mozambique embassy in your country.

If that is not an option, then please send the following documents no later than 7th Nov 2019 to events@openmrs.org and copy antoniom@jembi.org for assistance in obtaining a visa on arrival:

• Passport Scan.
  • Travel Dates
  • Accommodation Details.

Arriving at the airport without a visa and without your name on the OMRS19 list for an on-arrival visa will apparently not go well.

Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Thanks for clarification @jennifer

Thanks Jennifer for the clarification. After making some inquiries I found out that Mozambique has a consulate in Kampala and I saw the place today, I want to go check it out tomorrow. However, if one uses google to search for the Embassy it you may not get the right results, try using consulate :thinking:

Hi, How can we get invitation letters? Our organization need it to approve our request to go to Maputo.

cc @jennifer

Please email events@openmrs.org along with the full names of those who need a letter of invitation for via purposes. They will send you one.