User Testing OCL for dictionary management

So, I have gotten used to creating dictionaries and content sets using the Dictionary Manager. But I’ve spent extremely little time in the OCL UI until now. We needed to put together some new content examples for our new 3.x RefApp demo, so this seemed like a great opportunity for me to do some recordings of my process and user experience using the OCL UI!

@paynejd @jamlung @suruchi I hope this helps us with additional momentum with the OCL UI towards the dictionary manager use case, and hopefully with short or long term UX initiatives :slight_smile:

:mag: Initial key findings:

Adding concepts to my own collection was relatively easy and I was able to get a good start on putting together a demo dictionary. Though there were a few things that made it feel harder:

• Concept Creation Confusion: After creating a collection, I couldn’t figure out how to create my own concepts :grimacing: I know it’s there somewhere… Someone actually showed me how to do this just 2 weeks ago and I still couldn’t figure it out.
  • Scavenger Hunt vs Going Shopping: The approach to collecting content for your collection is kind of backwards to how we do it in the Dictionary Manager. In the Dictionary Manager, you enter the collection that you want to build, and then you go “shopping” through existing content and pick things you want to add. In OCL Online, you leave your collection and “scavenger hunt” through any content you can find all across OCL. This lead to my next point about Navigation…
  • Navigation - click click click: I had to click around a lot to go from one collection to another to another to another…lots of searches… I kept having to navigate back to my own collection and then to others. I wished there was a 1-click way to see “Recently Viewed” or “Favorites/Pinned” content; this would have made navigation much faster. Created issues & suggested wireframes for this:
  • Expected Set Content to be Added Automatically: I felt quite discouraged when I added a set-type concept to my collection and…none of the set concepts came along into my collection with it. I’m not sure if this means that I need to manually track down each of the set concepts or answer concepts and manually add all of those one at a time to my collection. We already have this automatic feature in the Dictionary Manager and it is one of my favorites!

If I had to pick only one thing to improve right away, it would be 1057: having Sets’ content automatically added to my collection along with the parent concept.

:play_or_pause_button: User Testing Recordings of Screen and User Video

Sorry, my screen/video recording tool maxes out at 5 minutes. On the plus side this lets me break down the video into “chapters”:

1. Testing OCL for dictionary creation pt 1: Intro
  2. Testing OCL for dictionary creation pt 2: Create org and add team members
  3. Testing OCL for dictionary creation pt 3: Create a collection
  4. Testing OCL for dictionary creation pt 4: Add “test” concepts from other collections
  5. Testing OCL for dictionary creation pt 5: Add “diagnosis” concepts from other collections
  6. Testing OCL for dictionary creation pt 6: Add concepts from “search everywhere” workflow
2 Likes

This is an example of the complexity of OCL for OpenMRS users. By definition, a collection is a set of references to existing content. You can’t create a new concept or mapping directly in a collection. All new content (concept or mappings) goes into a source.

The OpenMRS Dictionary Manager tries to protect you from this confusion by automatically making a matching/paired source with your collection, so any new concepts or new mappings (including adding answers or set members), are created within your dictionary’s source before they are added to your collection.

This is probably the most important feature the dictionary manager adds. For OCL, mappings are mostly just structures that link concepts, but they don’t have any real semantic meaning, e.g. asserting Concept A is the SAME-AS Concept B is basically the same thing as asserting that Concept A is RELATED-TO Concept B or any other relation type. I saw on the ticket that @paynejd had outlined a feature in the API for this which, if it existed, would be great!

@grace, this reminds me of @darius’ process of imagining how Bahmni would use OCL and running into challenges with using OCL and our 26-March-2018 Design Forum, which led him to share a proposal for the “OCL for OpenMRS” application (which evolved into today’s OpenMRS Dictionary Manager).

It might help to look at @darius’ posts above along with his OCL for OpenMRS Application storyboard Google Doc.

@darius had a very the same experience as you did, which led to the creation of the Dictionary Manager. I thought that, now that both OCL and the Dictionary Manager have evolved to a state where we’re considering how we might merge them, it might help to look back at the original impetus for creating the Dictionary Manager. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excellent - thank you Burke! I was actually going to confirm these links with you after you mentioned this on today’s OCL Squad call. Will review and follow up with thoughts.