Update to the OpenMRS Code of Conduct

The OpenMRS Code of Conduct covers the expectations of your behavior as a member of the OpenMRS Community in any forum, mailing list, wiki, web site, IRC channel, install-fest, public meeting or private correspondence, as well as clearly defines potential consequences to violations of conduct. The OpenMRS Community Management Team will arbitrate in any dispute over the conduct of a community member.

Our goal is to ensure a healthy and safe community for all members. We look forward to your comments and feedback. To help facilitate that, we have updated the OpenMRS Code of Conduct to include explicit information about the consequences of inappropriate behavior ( at the end of the document). Please feel free to post your response. Thanks for all that you do as members of the community.

https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Code+of+Conduct

3 Likes

Just to add to this, if anyone ever has any issue with conduct from another community member or feels unsafe in the community, in lieu of not having a Community Manager to turn to at the moment, they can send a PM to any of the Community Management Team members that they feel most comfortable with to help navigate the issue.

1 Like

The removal of the CC BY-SA attribution back to Ubuntu is egregious and just bad. It is a derivative work and requires attribution and licensing under the same (or similar) license.

This is starting to look like @jeffneiman is acting unilaterially – and NOT consulting the community. He is way too new to just come steamrolling in. Why is the community not involved in this?

@r0bby, I can guarantee you that this is a total oversight.

Agreed that the disclaimer (that was there for years) needs to go back. It was just removed a few hours ago, and can easily be added back.

Not sure why you didn’t add it back, @r0bby?

1 Like

That’s not a disclaimer, that’s the attribution that CC BY-SA requires.

I was the one that inadvertently left it out because I misinterpreted a response when i asked it if still needed to be there. I tried to edit the post today and I couldn’t. I am the responsible one for this oversight. I would urge us to have a dialogue and not ascribe intent when intent may not be clear.

this is what will be added in at the bottom of the code

The OpenMRS Code of Conduct is based on the Ubuntu Code of Conduct licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license. OpenMRS gives thanks and credit to the Ubuntu Project for their work!

2 Likes

If anything, i’m to blame as well. This was in my inbox, but unfortunately, the removal of this section was overlooked. I’m sorry that this happened - if anything, it calls for more collaboration and willingness to help each other.

Let he who has read every single email that landed in his inbox cast the first stone, say I :frowning:

1 Like

That needs to be added back :slight_smile:

1 Like

I added the attribution @terry suggested above. Thanks to everyone who worked on this.

1 Like

Should we move this post to the #community forum rather than under #community:leadership as @robby suggested so that more people see it? I thought that was a good suggestion.

Seems appropriate.

The #community:leadership thread has the back and forth about errors and omissions.

Probably the thing to do in #community is for Terry to start a new thread and repost her message about the Update to the OpenMRS Code of Conduct, rather than just move the thread?

Bill

me too; i wasn’t aware of the limited readership of community:leadership i can do a different thread… will do today

I’m not sure people read it – I can’t be sure if people do even read it…

There is nothing wrong with errors and omissions. I wish everybody here would stop being so worried about “looking good” This is already public.

And I’m glad that it is public. I thought that just moving Terry’s thread might mean that her message (#1 in the thread, and Jan’s #2) would get lost in all the discussion that followed (#3-#14). And #3-#14 are important, but they’re comments about the process, not a discussion of the code of conduct itself.

But, I’m fine either way.

As you say, it’s hard to know who subscribes to the different categories, who reads the email notifications of posts, who comes across the posts while browsing or searching, etc. I think Terry just wanted to put the information out there, and you (quite wisely) suggested a more appropriate location for it.

Yeah, most subscribe #community by default (i think, I i’d have to check) – but not very many subscribe, though they will see the posts in their list of new threads.

changed the category to community !

3 Likes

I like this :heart:

Agree, Bill. I do think the back and forth about process is important separately, as it highlights the importance of not being dogmatic and imply intent when no intent was included. We need to be more tolerant of one another and less draconian. Just my two cents. Andy Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH FACMI

Asst. Prof. of Clinical Biomedical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology Columbia University