Update on DIAL Catalytic Grant Round 4

Hi everyone!

At the end of February, we submitted an application for Round 4 of DIAL’s Catalytic Grants. On Sunday, we received news that our application has been selected as a finalist.

As a reminder, we applied for the Interoperability software engineering category and requested the maximum cash award of $15k.

Through this grant, OpenMRS’ objective will be to develop a service that enables OpenMRS to send and receive messages using the FHIR Messaging Specification. This will boost current community efforts to enhance the current OpenMRS FHIR module, which focuses on aligning and mapping resources for the Laboratory Integration workflow and the OpenMRS Microfrontend project. Subsequent priorities will accelerate initial work on the OpenMRS case based reporting module.

They’ve asked us to respond to the following two questions by Wednesday:

1. Are you still interested in receiving an award under this round of our grant program, and should you be selected, does your community still have the capacity to deliver on the project/work for the grant? We do not want to commit you or your organization(s) to work that will be difficult to undertake given other priorities, and would rather place you in priority for future grants when you have available capacity.
  1. Does your community have any new changes in priorities related to COVID-19 for which this grant could be re-purposed? Our upstream funders have allowed some flexibility with our grant funds during this crisis. Please note, the cash amount caps per grant must remain the same, but the scope of work done with that cash could be changed. (We may also be available to provide some certain types of technical assistance should your project need expertise or capacity it does not currently have.) Please reply and let us know if the previous scope of work is still appropriate, or if you would like to propose a COVID-19 related modification, please provide a few sentences to describe the work. (We may follow up with additional questions later this week.)
5 Likes

It’s really exciting that OpenMRS has made it to the finalist stage of this grant and I hope we receive it because I think it can be a great contribution to the community.

I would think that:

1. We are definitely still interested in the award. The work we proposed is, in my mind, actually more urgent in the current environment which is seeing increasing focus on utilising FHIR to standarise data capture for COVID-19. E.g., Logica’s COVID-19 Interoperability Project, the new SANER — Situation Awareness for Novel Epidemic Response profiles, as well as work taking place under the auspices of OpenHIE. Adding the capabilities to send and receive data like these in FHIR seems like it would be in the interest of OpenMRS implementations.

2. This grant still fits within the strategy OpenMRS has adopted towards COVID-19, at least in my mind, though I hope to hear from others in the community if there are things we could be doing that are more impactful.

1 Like

Great news @jennifer :smiley:

1 Like