Technical Project Manager for OpenMRS
Do you bring out the best in the teams you lead? Do you enjoy tinkering with code and technology and get excited about the chance to lead a team to build cutting edge software? Do you want to save the world by advancing an open source healthcare platform serving millions of patients in developing countries? Are you willing to work with people across time zones and cultures?
We are looking for a Technical Project Manager who understands enough about technology not only to lead a team of developers in realizing a vision, but also help define the design the vision. We need someone who sees technology, process, and systems problems and is driven to fix them.
OpenMRS Inc. is a non-profit created solely to support the OpenMRS Community in our mission to improve health care delivery in resource-constrainted environments by creating a robust, scalable, user-driven, open source medical record system platform.
- Guide a team of developers ± business analysts in taking technical solutions from concept to realization.
- Coordinate, oversee and manage the technical road map(s) in conjunction with other technical leads.
- Balance the requirements and constraints between implementers (i.e., consumers) and the community development team through a directed technical process.
- Monitor, document, report and communicate the status of multiple development projects using project management software
- Facilitate prioritization of the latest set of technical issues
- Identify the root of technical issues / challenges
- Develop a risk mitigation plan
- Employ and publish mitigation strategies for technical risks
- Help developers find the happy balance between creativity and consuming rabbit-holes so that meaningful outcomes are regularly achieved
- Oversee and facilitate growth of volunteer project management resources within the OpenMRS community
- Minimum of 4 years project and program management experience (i.e., demonstrated communication skills, resource planning skills, and abilities to delegate and hold others accountable)
- Experience running large IT projects with multiple stakeholder involvement
- Experience with project management software
- Ability to work well with people of different cultures and in different timezones
- Able to to work remotely and comfortable with using online collaborative tools (e.g., Google docs, VOIP, screen sharing, etc.)
- Open source community experience preferred
- Prior experience in health care domain preferred
- Degree in relevant discipline preferred
- Knowledge regarding software architecture required
- Ability to assemble and lead newly formed teams (lead and inspire others, identify strengths & weakness of team members, handle complex & sensitive issues, match tasks with opportunities)
- Ability to travel internationally for 1-2 weeks up to three times per year (we anticipate most work to be done remotely with one or two week-long international trips annually)
Reporting and Team Structure
This role helps the OpenMRS Development Leads oversee the community development process, and is a de facto member of the OpenMRS Operational Team. They report formally to the OpenMRS Operations Lead.
How to Apply:
- Please submit a cover letter and resume that addresses the responsibilities and skills outlined above.
- Send your information to jobs[@]openmrs.org
- For more information on OpenMRS, please see our web site