Switching from OpenEMR to OpenMRS

migration
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fb860898be8>

(Kumara Mendis) #1

Hi, I am KM a family physician from Sri Lanka.

I have been using OpenEMR for my private patients installed in a MacBook, with some basic modifications for patient demographics, medications lists, ICPC2 - ICD - 10 coding etc. For the past two years the now cloud-based EMR has been working very well. It has served the purpose without any problem. However its very difficult to find and modify the code with all the help from the community if you are not a current programmer.

I have just started to use OpenEMR in our university clinic. The demographic details have been entered from the paper records to OpenEMR demographic module for about 1400 persons.

Met a very good friend that recommended OpenMRS this week. Within 30 min I had installed the OPenMRS in my MacBook (which I couldn’t do two years ago).

Wondering whether to go for OpenMRS for the university clinic.

Is there a way to pull the 1400 demographic information to the OpenMRS? Should not be very difficult as I can get the data (variable names to a Excel sheet)

Help and advice will be much appreciated

Thank you

KM

(Daniel Kayiwa) #2

By the way, did you get a chance to look at this post from @tomtom5152 ? Comparision between Openmrs,OpenEMR,OpenHR.Why some one choose the Openmrs why not the other opensource platform.Looking for a key differences.

(Tom Price) #3

Its funny I should be tagged in this, I saw it in IRC earlier and meant to check the post out but it slipped my attention.

If your running stock OpenEMR without all the dispensing and billing features then I don’t see any issue with switching. I will eventually be working on an importer to do precisely that (this could be an official module/script if there is significant enough demand for it). I’m also currently working in private (because it is not yet code I’m proud enough to share) on an OpenEMR inspired appointment system, with that being our main use of OpenEMR and having found the OpenMRS one unsuitable in design for our needs. I will be doing a simplistic billing module along the same lines later.

(Daniel Kayiwa) #4

@tomtom5152 as for the billing module, did you take a look at this from @BandaHealth? https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/OpenHMIS+Cashier+Module

(Tom Price) #5

That looks really close to what I want actually, I’ve already seen on contrib I could make to the project though so will be investigating it further. I’ll probably still need a module ontop of that for my own usage as I want to integrate an iZettle card terminal into it through a custom patient facing iOS app mounted on the reception desk (in theory).

(Kumara Mendis) #6

Yes just read and Thank you its excellent. Will have more questions later. Still using OpenEMR but now installed OpneMRS in my Macbook