Student looking to contribute

Hi everyone,

I am an undergrad student looking to contribute to OpenMRS for upcoming GSoC.

I can program in C, C++, Java and Python and I have some machine learning experience.

Could you please guide me on how to get started?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

Check out our wiki page on getting started as a new developer. Additionally, our 2015 wiki page has a slew of resource for you, including a link to the Google Summer of Code Student Manual.

We have yet to actually be accepted to Google Summer of Code yet. You can request an OpenMRS Guide to help you answer any questions you may have.

I downloaded, read the guides as you suggested. I forked the repo and tried to build the project (openmrs-core) but when I run mvn clean install, I am getting OutOfMemoryException while running tests. If I run mvn clean install -DskipTests, the build is successful.

The manual says to set export MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx1024m -Xms1024m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m" if you encounter OutOfMemoryException from Java. I tried this but it didn’t help.

Any help would be appereciated.

Can you add export MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx1024m -Xms1024m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m" to either your

/etc/profile if your want this change to affect all other users or else to ~/.bash_profile for either OS x or linux

I tried adding that. But it is still giving same error.

I am running i3 processor with 4G RAM, 4G swap space.

Can you paste the entire build log at pastebin.com?

Here’s the link:

http://pastebin.com/mC0rdW1S

(I terminated it prematurely)

Are you compiling from command line? or an IDE? How are you doing the export maven options? From command line? some config file? Or something else?

I am using command line to compile. The MAVEN_OPT, I first set using command line, that didn’t work and then added the same in .bashrc file as suggested.

The variable is correctly getting set because when I echo it, I get the following output:

home>echo $MAVEN_OPTS -Xmx1024m -Xms1024m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m