Here are the things I did to have OpenMRS Reference Application running on Ubuntu 18.04
Tomcat by default runs on JVM 10.0.1+10-Ubuntu-3ubuntu1. OpenMRS did not work with that version, so I changed this to 1.8.0_171-8u171-b11-0ubuntu0.18.04.1-b11 with the following coomands. (The problem seems to be with the spring framework and modules, as the install without modules worked fine with JVM 10).
update-alternatives --config java
and since that did not change the runtime version of tomcat8 I also did the following:
mv default-java orig-default-java
ln -s java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64 default-java
I then created the directory for the OpenMRS configuration.
chown tomcat8:tomcat8 /var/lib/OpenMRS
I added a file to make MySQL default to utf-8:
and then restarted mysql.
Using the mysql client I created a database and a user to use the database (although I think the reference application may be able to do this if you can give the mysql admin password to the installer):
create database openmrs ;
grant all on openmrs.* to 'openmrs_user'@'%' identified by '********';
I copied the openmrs.war from the download site (https://openmrs.org/download/). That was version 2.1.3.
I copied the reference application addons from the download site. Version 2.8.0.
I then expanded the zip file, and placed the modules into /var/lib/OpenMRS/modules and
the owas into /var/lib/OpenMRS/owa
Maybe this might help you @agk as well. It took some time to isolate what worked and what did not.