Replacing Modulus: Design Thoughts

Replying to Replacing Modulus: Project Status Updates - #11 by mseaton here, because I’d like to keep that other thread for just status updates. (Maybe that’s a pointless battle to fight…)

I haven’t created a project for it anywhere yet. I would not use the existing modulus project. I was actually thinking of using github issues, but I welcome suggestions. So far the backlog is what I paste at the bottom of each status update.

Yes. I tried to do what you say (name matches are 4x the weight, and deprecated/invalid have their scores reduced by 80%) but I only fiddled enough to ensure that if you search for “reporting”, the Reporting Module is the top hit (unlike in Modulus). The code is here.

Agree this is a bug. (I was aware, just didn’t prioritize fixing it.)

Yeah, this was an oversight, since I’m actually only indexing “org.openmrs.module.reporting” rather than just “reporting” I couldn’t do this in the first pass. Would be nice to fix.

The “hosted at” link is this. (Right?) I do plan to leave a place to point to the source code. (I do parse the config.xml but not pom.xml.)

@reubenv also complained about this.

The effect I was going for was like when you go to amazon.com or the App Store you see a curated list of highlighted/interesting items on the homepage, and there’s a search feature too. Clearly I didn’t get this right. Maybe I need to explicitly separate this into three separate screens: (1) home screen showing highlighted/recommended, which in the first pass can show the (manually) highlighted ones, plus most recently updated ones, as two separate lists (2) search (3) browse all (sorted alphabetically, or by most-recent-update. consistently, in any case) As long as search requires a single mouse click and you can start typing into an autofocused field I think this would work well.

Or do you think this is overengineering for our use case, and browse all is more valuable than seeing a curated list?