Release Process Standardization Ideas

thanks for the work on this. i have a few comments.

1. i like having a stated release timeline that is ‘generic’ to some extent–and has specific timelines stated. I don’t know enough about our development/ testing to comment on whether these are reasonable, but it seems like they are. As far as the selection of the release manager–the sooner that person is involved, the better. Perhaps we could encourage the current release manager to identify the next one, and have them work together ? that way, the next release would go better. Also, we should somehow have the release issues track ( i assume that we already do that) to try to identify/ avoid them in the next release
  2. sounds great
  3. I woud involve Jan in this discussioN ( and i am also willing to be involved). The implementers and users should be doing the prioritization. i think that this is part of Jans work in the strategic objective # 4- but we should make sure that she is involved now. I dont know if voting is the best way to approach this. we should have some criteria that is used beyond voting ( one criteria could be, for instance, impact on health outcome or something like that). @jan can help with this one
  4. communication; i agree with your proposal here. if issues aren’t addressed, we need a mechanism to track and send out why. I dont know JIRA well enough; does that have this functionality?
  5. awesome and we talked about this at the camp; would be great if we could do this for some longitiudinal/ historical presentation prior to the camp. for instance, can we track the statistics in 6 month increments ( starting X up till December 2015) and present them? we need this for the annual report also. i think that we need to highlight the stats some other way also; perhaps as a link on the atlas?
  6. how would / will we ask for the community approval? can we do that at at the summit?
  7. this seems to be a naming issue, right? it makes sense to have a naming convention that people will understand. I like the idea of reference application and platform versions ( as opposed to OpenMRS x version–that does seem like it would be confusing; does the community need to approve this and/ or can we just put put naming convention guidelines? 8 definitely; awesome idea. we should do that prior to the summit

thanks for the time/ reflection/ input into these ideas. amazing. terry

1 Like