Real-time auto-transcribed video chat asynchronously in Talk

Continuing the discussion from Should we stop holding weekly developer forums?:

In general, I agree with using Talk by default (following both the “avoid private conversations” and the “If it didn’t happen on a mailing list, it didn’t happen.” best practices and aiding communication across timezones); however, it’s still true for information exchange bandwidth: forum < live chat < voice chat < video chat < in-person. In developer forums and design forums, we can cover in an hour what could take days or weeks of typing. Likewise, in-person interactions can be even more productive. Personally, I still see great benefit in having voice & in-person interactions as part of our portfolio as long as their publicly available and we summarize those interactions online (in forum/wiki).

What I really want is a way to have real-time auto-transcribed video chats asynchronously in Talk. But I think this would require a time machine or access to the fourth dimension. Maybe Google or Amazon or the smart people at Discourse will figure out a way to make it possible. :slight_smile:

BTW… I just created the Setting the Tone short link and will start using it in my reply to inappropriately private conversations. Thanks again to @kfogel for making the world a better place!

I have no idea what to say to this. I was pointing this out for MONTHS prior to finally losing hope and giving up.

Burke Mamlin talk+noreply@openmrs.org writes:

Continuing the discussion from Should we stop holding weekly
developer forums?:

Should we stop holding weekly developer forums?               

Most things can be done asynchronously unless it’s demoing a
product…otherwise I see very little benefit

In general, I agree with using Talk by default (following both the
“avoid private conversations” and the “If it didn’t happen on a
mailing list, it didn’t happen.” best practices and aiding
communication across timezones); however, it’s still true for
information exchange bandwidth: forum < live chat < voice chat <
video chat < in-person. In developer forums and design forums, we can cover in an hour what could take days or weeks of typing. Likewise,
in-person interactions can be even more productive. Personally, I
still see great benefit in having voice & in-person interactions as
part of our portfolio as long as their publicly available and we
summarize those interactions online (in forum/wiki).

What I really want is a way to have real-time auto-transcribed video chats asynchronously in Talk. But I think this would require a time
machine or access to the fourth dimension. Maybe Google or Amazon or the smart people at Discourse will figure out a way to make it
possible. :sl

That’s a… really interesting idea. It might not be so far off: automated transcription is getting pretty good. I’ll bet we see such a service within 5 years. (It probably won’t appear as open source infrastructure first, alas, but that’s more because of funding than because of technology.)

BTW… I just created the Setting the Tone short link
and will start using it in my reply to inappropriately private
conversations. Thanks again to @kfogel for making the world a
better place!

:heart: Awww… Thanks, Burke!