Proposing to Remove IP Blacklist in Dashboard

While fixing issue and scrutinizing the code, I noticed that we’ve been using IP blacklists provided by DNSBL providers like spamhaus.

However, I think it’s redundant and sometimes blocks our users.

My considerations are,

• We’ve already used ReCAPTCHA, field name hash, timestamp etc. These methods could effectively filter requests sent by bots.
  • IP in DNSBLs is for email, not for signup page
  • IP in HTTP headers could be spoofed. (We used Apache as reversed proxy. If it’s configured correctly, this could be avoided)
  • Spammers could easily change his IP, while most our users must wait for us to add him into whitelist.

So I think, blacklist is useless and sometimes annoying.

That’s few thoughts I came about, how do you think? @michael, @r0bby, @elliott and others who concerns about Dashboard.

I agree that maybe those are not the most appropriate lists for blocking the type of spam we see. These may be more appropriate lists to work from:

If you think there is a security issue please email security■■■■■■■■■■■■ with details on your findings.

We see some false positives on this so we know it’s working … but unclear how well it’s working. We have hundreds if not thousands of spam accounts in the system. I don’t know of a good way find an exact number but I know it’s high. The blacklist has certainly not fixed that.

My guess is that the same IP’s are signing up many accounts, but I don’t know this for sure.

We need to do something more/better, so it’s worth looking at other approaches that work better than what we have now.

In my opinion… As long as we could stop requests sent by bots, we are fine.

If the spammers register by himself… then I think, on Dashboard’s perspective, he’s a “normal” user.

1 Like

Yeah. I don’t think most of the accounts in questions are purely bots, but perhaps human-assisted scripts.

I disabled it and removed any migration instructions – instead suggested destroying the SQL db entirely…and defaulted it to not enabled in the example conf and the migration guide does the same.