Process of upgrading from Platform 1.6.3 to 1.11.5

Hi All,

I would like to upgrade from 1.6.3 to 1.11.5 and have been researching around the wiki and would appreciate some guidance. My understanding is that its best to upgrade to 1.9.2 and then to 1.11.5. Prior to upgrading to 1.9.2, I would need to run the validation module and resolve any errors. Prior to upgrading to 1.11.5, I would also need to make changes to the dictionary if I have drug orders entered. Am I on track?

To that effect, I installed the validation module 1.0.1 but have been unable to run all validations. I dont know the other classes that need validation other than the default “org.openmrs.concepts”. The wiki mentions of an updated module where classes are listed under a drop down menu but I was not able to find this updated module. Module version 1.0.1 which happens to be the most recent does not have this feature. Can somebody please point me towards that updated module?

I also installed the “openmrs-module-mohbeforeoneelevenupgrade” module but was unable to get it to run on 1.6.3, 1.6.6 and 1.8.4.

I suppose the issue pertains to those installations with drug orders only. Is this correct?

Do I have to install the CIEL/MVP dictionary. If so, how would I integrate it with locally created concepts?

Thanks for your help!

Do I have to install the CIEL/MVP dictionary. If so, how would I integrate it with locally created concepts?

Nicholas, I think you have to run through the upgrade first and then decide what you want to do about the dictionary. If you haven’t already synched to CIEL with the 1.6.3 dictionary, I don’t think you will be able to simply use the 1.11.x version in the dropbox. If you have already synched (in other words replaced) your concept dictionary with CIEL, then you would need to replace the upgraded version of the concept tables with the SQL files in the dropbox for 1.11.x. My guess is that you already have local concepts so you will need to either use MDS to get any new concepts that you need from CIEL or subscribe to the OCL service so that you won’t overwrite the local concepts. If you need help migrating local concepts to CIEL, let me know.

Thanks Andy and Long time!

I am still running 1.6.3 with the native dictionary. Would you suggest I sync to CIEL before attempting my upgrade to 1.11.x?

Otherwise, I do have a ton of local concepts and could definitely use some help migrating these concepts to CIEL. My understanding then is that once I have migrated these local concepts, I should be able to overwrite my local dictionary with CIEL(which would have my local concepts). Am I correct?

Thanks, again.

Hi @k_joseph, I am planning an upgrade from 1.6.3 to 1.11.5 and would appreciate any guidance from your experience upgrading the Rwanda MoH.

Briefly, my understanding is that I need to initially upgrade to 1.9.2 and subsequently to 1.11.5. Prior to upgrading to 1.9.2, I would need to run the validation module and resolve an ensuing errors. After upgrading to 1.9.2 but prior to upgrading to 1.11.x, I would upload the CIEL/MVP data dictionary concepts into my dictionary (using the Upgrade helper 1.10 module and the metadata sharing module) and thereafter map any free text orders to concept ids (using the mohbeforeupgrade 1.11. module).

Am I on track? Anything else I might need to know?

That sounds to be a good process @nmusinguzi and on track, one thing we have not done though is using upgrade helper module as well as upgrading the Concept Dictionary through our process. Let me actually think of how we can do this through the process. Our mohbeforeoneeleven module would not require to first upgrade to 1.9.x since it bridges the gaps that would require that step, However the module will add new concepts for the dose units and frequencies in the database before upgrading and map them as required. In our thought of upgrading the concept dictionary we shall update the module to reason out and look up to the right concepts before creating concept for doseunits and frequencies which will be found to miss concepts.

Here are the steps we are using and what can fit your case.

1. Install mohbeforeoneeleven module and confirm that it has started before upgrading
  2. Run through the normal OpenMRS upgrade process.

Am going to slightly change this approach to include upgrading the concept dictionary which will include modifying the mohbeforeoneeleven module as i have mentioned above.

Hoping this makes sense

That makes sense, thanks. Its just that the mohbeforeoneeleven could not run. Do I need software(IDE?) to compile the omod?

I think we need to look at this from a reality point of view, so the soonest you could provide a list of unmapped concepts to CIEL, we could assess how best to move forward. My thought would be to do the migration to 1.11. Then map the concepts using MDS or something similar, and then subscribe with OCL.

1 Like

Thanks, Andy.