We’re proud and hopefully never having to do present a Part 4, that we need to deploy and upgrade ID Dashboard.
This post is to gather when would be the best time to do it:
Weekend (would potentially be Sunday night Eastern Time)
Weeknight (would be next weekend sometime)
Do you have a preferred day? This would require bringing down both ID Dashboard and OpenLDAP…potentially affecting Authentication against JIRA/Confluence via Crowd, as well as authentication to OpenMRS Talk. You may select up to 2 days.
Most of these dates would be in the evening Eastern Time. I will not be voting as I’m not active much anymore. I want to do this in the least disruptive way, but there will be a disruption between around 30-45 minutes – scheduled outage will be 1 hour just to give room if something goes wrong.
The total lack of community input means I make the decision based on what I want to do – I’d rather not. Nobody pays attention to these things. I will let it sit for awhile more since I literally got no good data out of this poll…
Robby, honestly nobody is going to have a meaningful opinion about what day
of the week to schedule downtime. (That’s why I filled out the poll like I
did, and I imagine it’s why you’re not getting useful info there.)
Just pick a time that is convenient for you to do the switch (and watch for
failures afterwards to roll back if necessary), and announce it with a
couple days of warning.
I’ll decide when to do it – not tonight – probably next weekend. I would have thought that bringing down basically all authentication would have more people caring…because it means authentication isn’t possible. I have to bring down OpenLDAP briefly – which Crowd auths against.
I’d agree whatever increases chances for success & minimizes downtime trumps other concerns – i.e., best time for @r0bby should carry a lot of weight.
How long is anticipated downtime? That might affect my answer… but I’d still probably go with "Whenever is most convenient for @r0bby that maximizes chances for success, minimizes downtime, and can community can be informed for at least a few days ahead of time (via Talk/wiki/jira notice).