[POLL] When to do the ID Dashboard 2.1 Upgrade Deployment: Part 3

We’re proud and hopefully never having to do present a Part 4, that we need to deploy and upgrade ID Dashboard.

This post is to gather when would be the best time to do it:

• Weekend (would potentially be Sunday night Eastern Time)
  • Weeknight (would be next weekend sometime)

0 voters

Do you have a preferred day? This would require bringing down both ID Dashboard and OpenLDAP…potentially affecting Authentication against JIRA/Confluence via Crowd, as well as authentication to OpenMRS Talk. You may select up to 2 days.

• Sunday
  • Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday

0 voters

Most of these dates would be in the evening Eastern Time. I will not be voting as I’m not active much anymore. I want to do this in the least disruptive way, but there will be a disruption between around 30-45 minutes – scheduled outage will be 1 hour just to give room if something goes wrong.

The total lack of community input means I make the decision based on what I want to do – I’d rather not. Nobody pays attention to these things. I will let it sit for awhile more since I literally got no good data out of this poll…

Robby, honestly nobody is going to have a meaningful opinion about what day of the week to schedule downtime. (That’s why I filled out the poll like I did, and I imagine it’s why you’re not getting useful info there.)

Just pick a time that is convenient for you to do the switch (and watch for failures afterwards to roll back if necessary), and announce it with a couple days of warning.

-Darius (by phone)

I’ll decide when to do it – not tonight – probably next weekend. I would have thought that bringing down basically all authentication would have more people caring…because it means authentication isn’t possible. I have to bring down OpenLDAP briefly – which Crowd auths against.

@r0bby i also think that since this was sent out on a weekend, some people may have already hibernated. But i voted anyway. :smile:

I’d agree whatever increases chances for success & minimizes downtime trumps other concerns – i.e., best time for @r0bby should carry a lot of weight.

How long is anticipated downtime? That might affect my answer… but I’d still probably go with "Whenever is most convenient for @r0bby that maximizes chances for success, minimizes downtime, and can community can be informed for at least a few days ahead of time (via Talk/wiki/jira notice).

Could be as long as an hour – could be as little as 30 to 45 minutes.