Ozone Installation

Hi Everyone, I have been trying to install Ozone for about two days now. I have found the entire process completely and utterly frustrating. However, I do have an appreciation for open-sourced software, and I can understand how hard it is to manage this. That being said, I’d like to say my peace.

  1. I’ve found the documentation very frustrating, with a lack thereof. With what little installation documentation there is, it can be frustrating for a non-dev, like me. I’ve been getting numerous errors when trying to install, and I’ve found the entire docker process frustrating to use. Is there an alternative? (I’ve yet to install the software successfully, and have failed every time, while trying both the quick start, and manual install methods.)

  2. Is there documentation on the actual platform? I don’t seem to see any, and I assume I’ll have questions once I get started.

  3. Has anyone tested a fresh installation lately? I seem to get tons of errors with the docker-compose.yml file and the start-demo.sh file. (I’m attempting to install on an AWS ec2 Debian instance)

Again, I completely understand how hard it is to maintain open-source software. However, I’m looking forward to your help in this matter, and I’m looking forward to installing the software.

Thanks, Jack

1 Like

Hello, @jack.carney2 welcome to the community. Thank for you your interest in Ozone we understand your frustration and we are working on resolving as many of the challenges as we can. To help us understand what challenges you are facing could you provide us with details on the OS you are using, the errors you are facing and if possible some logs. We have noted that most of the challenges new users are facing are env specific and we provide an alternative way to try out Ozone on gitpod. Open in Gitpod


Hi @jack.carney2 - thanks for giving a shot at spinning up Ozone.

Could you point us to which parts of the documentation you think is lacking? Could you help us improve those?

Currently not beyond the READMEs of the various repositories that make Ozone, starting wit the READMEs of the FOSS Docker project. But again we would be eager to know which parts of the platform you would wish to be better documented.

Our devs and QAs go through this routinely, and there can indeed be environment idiosyncrasies, this is why for a quick trial we highly recommend using the Gitpod button as @achachiez suggested in his response to you. Even just as a way to use it to make a side by side comparison of working environments (Gitpod) vs non working environments.

What helps managing open-source software is actionable feedback about it. Please give us error logs, point us to flaws in the docs, suggest changes to us, etc. Venting is only the first 1% of what can be done, constructive feedback is the beginning of the other 99% of what needs to be done.

1 Like

The install works on GitPod, but not locally.

I’m getting these errors:

ERROR: The Compose file './docker-compose.yml' is invalid because:
services.proxy.ports contains an invalid type, it should be a number, or an object
services.openmrs.depends_on contains an invalid type, it should be an array
services.eip_client.depends_on contains an invalid type, it should be an array
services.senaite.depends_on contains an invalid type, it should be an array
services.odoo.depends_on contains an invalid type, it should be an array
services.superset.depends_on contains an invalid type, it should be an array
services.superset-worker.depends_on contains an invalid type, it should be an array

After some finagling, I was able to get it installed.

However, when I visit OpenMRS, I get the error messages:

  1. Offline Setup Error: Registering the Service Worker is not possible due to missing browser capabilities.
  2. Oops! An unexpected error occurred.

Also, how can I make it so these docker containers automatically start at linux reboot/start?

Thanks, Jack

@jack.carney2, you have not shared any details about your environment as you can see the software works in Gitpod which is a clean standard env. This means whatever issues you are running into are environment specific. Could you please start at by sharing at least

  • The operating system
  • The docker version docker --version
  • The docker compose version docker-compose --version or docker compose --version
  • The browser you are using.

Without this, it is difficult for someone to help.

Again, it would be nice for the community to know what you did - and for us to document it in the READMEs if necessary.

1 Like

I have recently made a fresh local installation on a linux os and raised a PR to update the README. cc: @ruhanga

1 Like

Hi there! This PR adds vital information to the install process and has solved the errors related to this thread.

Solution: prepending sudo -E to the install command allowed the installation to complete smoothly.

Thanks for the help.