OWA App Store GSoC project

Yes, I broadly agree with @burke.

In my opinion the most important user of the store is the administrator of a production OpenMRS installation, and for that user persona it’s more important to get the right thing, than it is to do a one-click download.

So, I believe the store UI should work basically as it does now, that when you pick a module/extension, you see all available versions (should also show info about requirements to run those versions).

Being able to install directly from the store is a nice-to-have, more valuable to developers than to real implementers, in my opinion.

Hi @sunbiz

I have shared a draft proposal with OpenMRS. I will appreciate your feedback

1 Like

Hi All

The deadline is fast approaching and i have not had any feedback on my proposal yet. @r0bby i know you already made it clear that you review proposals only for your project, but it will be an honour to get feedbacks from you. :slight_smile:. I have already ping @pascal and he says he will look at it, but will appreciate feedbacks from anyone available.

I will look at it later today

1 Like

I added comments to the proposals by @vishnurao and @ivange94.

2 Likes

@pascal thanks for finding the time to review my proposal, but it seems my proposal was a little long, given your comment on my proposal and @r0bby’s on this thread Tips for a successful proposal, 17 pages might have been a little too much. I have done some changes which involves @r0bby’s tips which says, proposals should lead with the template questions, so i moved the answers to those questions right after my abstract as he suggested. Also i tried deleting some details to reduce the number of pages but i could only lay off 1 page. Everything i have so far in my proposal seems very important. And most of the spaces is due to the mockup. @pascal @sunbiz, @r0bby i would be very happy if you could find some time in your busy schedule to look at it’s current state and provide some feedbacks :slight_smile: .

And @pascal if you think i have deleted some relevant information, because you told me not to worry about the length, that is not a problem, i used git to manage different versions of proposal, so a simple git reset will bring back everything in my last commit.

Ivange Larry.

17 pages is a bit much – but if it’s largely wireframes – I’d say top out your proposal at 10-12 MAX – I’d say leave it alone unless one of the mentors for your project asks – like i said, not hard and fast.

@r0bby @pascal actually said i should not worry about it. But if you look at it, removing anything will make the idea am conveying not very clear. Just answering the questions asked on the wiki took me 4 pages, so my implentation takes at most 5 pages.

1 Like

Good luck :heart:

1 Like

Hi @sunbiz On this talk post most of the developers have agreed to use bintray.com for distributing OWA’s and we are already testing it. I have a few questions 1.Instead of developing modules.openmrs.org, are we going to use Bintray in our project? 2.If we are going to use it,what are our updated project objectives?

Thanks, Vishnu Rao

Hi @vishnurao, Congrats.

My proposal on this would be that, you should still enhance modules.openmrs.org to handle uploading of owas and modules from the UI. But at the backend, you will actually use the bintray rest api to host copies of all the packages on bintray. So that a community member who is not yet familiar with bintray will still have access of all apps and modules from the Modules repository even though they are hosted on bintray. And also apps uploaded from bintray should also be displayed on the modules repo(still with the help of bintray rest api). Good luck.

2 Likes

We can still use modulus to pull metadata – but store the actual binaries on bintray

I’d say store everything on bintray inc. metadata and use the REST client to display all on modules.openmrs.org.

You can easily store custom metadata (supported OpenMRS versions, required modules, etc.) in bintray using attributes Service End for Bintray, JCenter, GoCenter, and ChartCenter | JFrog

2 Likes

Modulus seems like a failed experiment. Nobody in the community seems to want to support it and fix bugs. Let’s use bintray from now-on.

@vishnurao, @sunbiz,

I suggest you consider this approach (as an extension to @raff’s comment):

• build a completely new application from scratch (using a very-popular-today JS framework)
  • this is a very thin layer on top of bintray
  • no data storage at all for the OWAs, outsource this completely to bintray
  • this indexes the OWAs on bintray, and presents a few valuable summaries in an openmrs.org-themed UI
    • eventually this should support indexing OWAs across different organizations, e.g. OpenMRS, Bahmni, PIH, Sunbiz, etc.
  • show things like most-downloaded, top-rated, most-recently-updated, etc
  • could have a data store for features like “OWA of the month” or “included in Reference Application”
  • all non-trivial functionality (e.g. giving a rating, downloading an old version) is just a link to bintray
  • The scope of this GSoC project is just to build our “OWA App Store” but be aware that this should eventually replace Modulus for our OMOD files also.
2 Likes

FYI this GSoC project is perfect for modifying Modulus UI to bintray.com . I agree with everything @darius said. HOWEVER, I don’t think starting from scratch is a good idea – let’s use what’s there and what works and refactor it to work with bintray.com.

I brought this up as a larger discussion here:

If we don’t do it now – it will never get done.

1 Like

Please continue discussion in #dev or request a new category