Continuing the discussion from Design Time for EHR UX Re-Design - Concept Demo:
I am a big fan of leveraging Twitterboostrap to help provide foundation styling across the application and UI elements those we know and those we have to think about.
This has been in a process for over 18 months since I first proposed it and I think I understand why
UI/UX stuff is a specialized skill and cannot be done by volunteer resources alone
I would like to make a recommendation that the community and leadership consider funding, resourcing and commissioning an UI/UX person/team to design and develop a custom toolkit for OpenMRS basically a toolkit that can be leveraged and customized by upstream implementors going forward.
This is an extension of a style guide but even more involved, I am looking at the following:
- Components - search tables, display widgets, graphs
- Forms - tabs, sections, single/multiple selection options, medication/dispensing/diagnosis widgets within a form (irrespective of whether it is HTML Form Entry of other module UIs)
- Cards (widgets) - editable and non-editable widgets, summary information and detailed information etc
- Pages - patient registration summary, disease summary (baseline ART, NCD, oncology assessment)
- Dashboards - 1-2 and 3 column dashboards with cards to show the different widgets
- Responsive to monitor, tablet, smartphone useage
- Also includes support for mobile app design
The tool kit should be useable with Bootstrap, Angular/React/Vue OWAs (we have a mix of all of them currently in RefApp) with more on the way over the next 3-5 years.