OpenMRS Release Policy

Lot of this has been implicitly understood in the community. But, I feel having it in a community approved formal document would be great. This will illuminate the various aspects of releases in OpenMRS. Moreover, this will help tract, identify and evaluate different aspects of OpenMRS releases. I’m taking a first stab at it. Please let me know if you feel this is required and how it can be improved.

I wanted a formal document that includes all aspects of our releases. I have searched for other release policies online but Apache’s Release Policy was the nearest to what I was envisioning. (Some of this document is inspired from it)

#OpenMRS Release Policy -

Release Products/Units -

###Types of Builds:

Snapshot builds: These are built from openmrs github project, usually once a day.These builds are intended for regular testing of the development happening on the project. These versions are labelled as SNAPSHOT. They are not intended for use by the general public.

Release Candidates: are builds that have been built and considered acceptable for a release but have not yet been accepted as a release by the project. These are built by the Release Manager for a specific release. These are intended for developers/testers to test and report any issues back to the project prior to a release. Many release candidates are possible prior to a release approval. These versions are also labelled as SNAPSHOT. Users that are not interested in development testing should wait until a release is formally approved.

Releases: are builds that have been accepted for general public release, with varying degrees of caveat regarding their perceived quality or potential for change. Releases that are intended for everyday usage by non-developers are usually available in the OpenMRS Downloads page. Releases are believed to be usable by testers and developers and often go through “alpha” and “beta” testing followed by “User Acceptance Testing(UAT)”. These releases builds have the SNAPSHOT tag removed from their release versions.

###Types of Releases -

Major Releases: OpenMRS Major Releases are products that have had major enhancements with multiple bug fixes. These versions have usually gone through “alpha”, “beta” and “UAT” testing. These versions are denoted with two level numbers e.g. - 1.10, 2.3

Maintenance Releases: These releases are minor openmrs releases released to handle security issues and small feature enhancements. These do not usually go through any formal testing process. These versions are denoted with three level numbers e.g. - 1.10.1, 2.3.1

###Software Products:

OpenMRS releases 2 major Software products and multiple minor modules that act as additions to the major products.

Reference Application(RA) – this is the web application (reference application)that packages OpenMRS as an Electronic Medical Record application. Reference application is the combination of Platform and multiple different modules built on Platform. Reference Application is released twice a year. As this is a packaging of different OpenMRS releases (that have been tested) to form a product, this usually only goes through UAT testing.

We release two different packagings of the reference application: (a) a runnable standalone, and (b) a zip file of modules that can be manually installed on the appropriate Platform version.

Platform – this is the foundational OpenMRS API and web services shared by many distributions based on OpenMRS and made available to build OpenMRS web applications. Platform is released once a year. This release goes through “alpha”, “beta” and “UAT” before being released for general public to use.

We release two different packagings of the Platform: (a) a runnable standalone, and (b) a WAR file that can be deployed in a servlet container

Roles/Process Involved in OpenMRS Releases:

###Roles involved:

• Project Owner: A Project Owner oversees and provides guidance and facilitates discussion among managers and developers in design/project management calls.
  • Developers: Work on issues, participate in sprints and test OpenMRS before a release. These include dev/null to dev/5.
  • i18n Manager: Manages OpenMRS translations through transifex. Creates a integration path to include the necessary translations in a specific release.
  • Infrastructure Team: Provides support and required permissions for the necessary users. As well as handling server and various other needs.
  • Release Management Manager: Initiates the release process. acts as a guide, support and first point of contact for any issues or guidance for a Release Manager. Release Manager: A new volunteer is selected from the community for each major release.

###Process:

1. The community discusses about major changes being pursued in the community and includes them in the Technical RoadMap under future releases. This discussion is held in the Project Management Calls by Project Owners attended by Developers and Release Management Manager and the community.

2. A request to be a volunteer Release Manager is sent out in the community by the Release Management Manager. Based on the applied volunteers for the role, a Release Manager is selected.

3. Release Manager coordinates, the developers and the community through the release process. He acts as a facilitator and organizes meetings among various different roles,teams and the community to make a release successful overseen by the project owner.

4. Release Manager based on the discussions can decide what stays and gets removed in a release. Also coordinating with the i18n Manager to decide what translations can be included in the specific release.

5. Release Manager organizes sprints with the developers to get the work completed for a release and also organizes “alpha”, “beta” and “UAT”.

6. After a release, Release Management Manager reviews and reflects upon the release process and improvises the release process for the next releases.

1 Like

A few comments:

We do not actually have Nightly builds, and they aren’t a thing anymore in modern CI environments. Instead, call this section “Snapshot builds” and change the text a bit.

Also, I would not have this section be the top section in the whole document.

This does not seem accurate, given the way we use the term “OpenMRS Standalone”.

1 Like

@maurya Thanks for the documentation. I think based on discussions the release process for major and maintenance releases is different with maintenance releases having a sub-set of tasks.

Where does the Standalone fit in the software products?

2 Likes

Thank you for letting me know about this. I didn’t actually know what we called them. Though when I looked at the build intervals the most common was a day.

What would you prefer to be at the top? and why?

@ssmusoke, @darius , I’m trying to document what role each component is playing and the main reason for this document is to make it easier for everyone in the community to understand.

So, my definition of a standalone is a type of release unit. But, it is also a software product by itself as @ssmusoke points out . @darius how would you define a standalone to be?

I have created a JIRA issue related to the ambiguity here: https://issues.openmrs.org/browse/STAND-88

My point is that there is no “Type” category for which the three mutually-exclusive options are “Major Release”, “Maintenance Release”, and “Standalone Release”. You should remove “Standalone Release” from this list.

I would say (underneath Reference Application): We release two different packagings of the reference application: (a) a runnable standalone, and (b) a zip file of modules that can be manually installed on the appropriate OpenMRS Platform version.

And underneath Platform: We release two different packagings of the OpenMRS Platform: (a) a runnable standalone, and (b) a WAR file that can be deployed in a servlet container

(Also note that if you’re saying “OpenMRS Platform”, you should say “OpenMRS Reference Application”. Or else you can use the short form of both and say “Platform” and “Reference Application”. But you should be consistent.)

2 Likes

Makes sense to include the standalone under product type also thanks for mentioning about the consistency for “Platform” and “Reference Application”. Made the necessary changes.

1 Like