OpenMRS Leadership Team 2016-04-21

Hi All,

We have a leadership call scheduled for this Thursday, April 21. If you normally attend but can not this week please let me know. Also if there are any additional topics or updates you would like to see on this agenda or a future agenda please let me know.

4/21 Agenda Fundraising Discussion @paul Final agreement/decision on the path forward and timeline for adopting our new governance plans @michael SNOMED mapping to Concepts and what the IHTSDO would like us to communicate to OpenMRS users @akanter

ACTION ITEMS: Review Documents

Parking Lot Bahmni Leadership - Draft Statement for opening Bahmani Roadmap (Apr 14) - @darius assisting to move this Revisions to Strategic Goal #1 w/ @burke Revisions to Strategic Goal #2 w/ @hamish Naming for the reference application (due to proposed changes) Review Communications Tools Review mission, vision and values - http://openmrs.org/about/mission

Notes: Etherpad

If members from the community would like to see a specific agenda item added to the topic queue or would like to join an upcoming leadership call please reach out to @jthomas

1 Like

Just as a reminder, in last week’s meeting, @paul had mentioned he would have ready for review a draft announcement about the upcoming leadership & governance improvements. Not sure if people would want to discuss that in voice vs. asynchronously online, but if the former we may want to reserve some time for it.

1 Like

I will probably miss this week’s call. (I’ll be in Amman.)

-Darius (by phone)

Heya @michael, I have been spending some brain space more on laying out all of the various responsibilities one would relate to an open source project lead… and then trying to lay out a couple of models that’d help us discern my future role from someone who could more roll up their sleeves on a daily basis.

My thought is that we’d need to get those expectations clarified, and to come up with a placement strategy for this before we communicated anything. Does that make sense, or do you think we need to do something differently?

My goal was to have something rough drafted by EON tonight, and as a post here.

3 Likes

Agreed :slight_smile:

(I hope!) I mentioned this in last week’s meeting, but given the magnitude of the new governance improvements, I would also strongly recommend we work as a team to refine the communication before it goes out widely. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, Regenstrief has scheduled a prep session this Thursday for the weekend’s FHIR Hackathon, conflicting with the leadership call. I’ll attend if I can, but currently I’m a firm “maybe” for this week’s call. :slight_frown:

Hi Burke

I have been going over the plans for “Strategic Goal #2” and intended to talk about it tomorrow. Sounds like we might be best to put that off for another week so you can be part of the discussion. I will post my latest comments to the strategic plan.

Hamish

1 Like

@hamish will you please post revisions to the OpPlan

1 Like

Hi Jamie I see that both Burke and Darius will not be able to join the call today which makes it difficult to achieve a real resolution to the key questions around Strategic Goal #2. I tried emailing this earlier but it bounced.So these are my thoughts and ideas based on the extensive discussions in early February:

Really thoughtful and creative discussion. I agree with most of it and fortunately with most of the last few posts that try to pull the ideas together.

A. The OpenMRS platform is Core+ REST+FHIR

B. The OpenMRS Web platform includes A with UI components that are to help implementations get started and share good tools. It avoids a whole series of parallel, incompatible UI and application layers which fragment OpenMRS and waste a great deal of resources (step 1 in getting a starter EMR)

C. OpenMRS and the community continue to build and share modules and test core modules against new releases of A and B. Lots of key functionality get built and shared with community (step 2 in starter EMR)

D. The OpenMRS community distribution builds on B and C, leveraging the modular architecture and demonstrating excellent integration of components and meta data and support for common clinical work flows. It primarily targets new implementations but offers some help for migrating old versions to benefit from the new functionality. It has excellent documentation and installation tools and examples of how to set it up for primary care, HIV etc. It is an attractive system for funders to support given it’s coherent UI and workflow and documentation. I can be used as a basic EMR out of the box or a starting point for further customization such as addition of more modules within the basic UI framework.

The UI and workflow is optimized for certain tasks including likely:

a. patient registration b. form creation and entry tool c. Patient summary d. Reporting tool e. Order entry f. Lab entry

The community distribution is leveraging all the great work of the platform, UI and modules and the process of polishing and better integrating the components will likely benefit more advanced and highly customized distributions.

I am going to try to be on the call (at least for the first 30 min). I am not sure who is actually going to be on :slight_smile: Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH FACMI

Asst. Prof. of Clinical Biomedical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology Columbia University Email: andrew.kanter@â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  Mobile: +1 (646) â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  Office: +1 (212) â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  Skype: akanter-ippnw Yahoo: andy_kanter