OpenMRS-DHIS2 module

Hi all,

OpenMRS and DHIS integration is the most requested feature by many of our clients as well. Good to see that this is now actively being worked on.

I tried setting up module few months ago and there were alot of issues in compiling and installing it. But just saw new commits on repository and tried it again and its working like a charm. Though module is under progress and any issues further would be resolved as well but just wanted to share the feedback or few things those were confusing and may be helpful in understanding requirements from different use cases.

1. Since DHIS allows to add any entity without code the report templates downloaded can have data without code. This throws exception “ERROR - JDBCExceptionReporter.logExceptions(234) |2016-08-05 09:51:43,097| Duplicate entry ‘’ for key ‘code’”

2. Basically module assumes that all dataSets should be synced. But in our scenario we wanted to sync only two dataSets for Immunizations. There could be a case when there is a central DHIS deployed on district level and different OpenMRS instances used in different institutions need to push different type of data or may be just a subset of data, so if we can have choice to filter dataSets from report template downloaded, it would be easier to maintain, since we can force to assign CODE to dataSets of our interest. Though DHIS allows to restrict user access by dataSets but I could not make it work. Not sure if there was something missing with configuration.

3. For large number of data elements OpenMRS footer sticks out.

4. May be this is from DHIS but when data is posted to DHIS and there is an issue it marks report as success and puts entry in ignores=# . As a new user it was difficult to understand why data is not showing up in DHIS since there was no detail associated

5. Map Report doesnot show any Reports in OpenMRS (Most of our reports are mapped to SQL data set)

6. ADX was not working for me. The data doesnot show up in DHIS. But when I changed code to post via DataValue template it works fine.

7. One thing I noticed was that it doesnot post data with category mappings, or may be it just doesnot show it correctly

8. Mapped Locations still show up in dropdown.

9. Module enforces you to assign ‘CODE’ to every orgUnit. But DHIS allows it and works fine without a CODE for any entity. This becomes a little cumbersome when we want to integrate module with a deployed and working instance of DHIS. Since there are already 100s or 1000s of OrgUnits so it becomes a little difficult to revise whole process. This is true for other entities as well. But DHIS management without CODE is allowed by DHIS2 when we are using dataValue template for data exchange. Is there any option to choose between DataValue template and ADX, so that incase there are no CODE mappings and we are not in position to change that we still can post data to DHIS using alternative approach? Not sure if it would be recommended or not.

2 Likes

@akanter, can the PM for the Novartis group share their requirements/ expectations and where they encountered problems? Or at least the concept note the specific blockers?

without that, it may be difficult to figure out the problems and/or what has been completed/ is in the queue. I dont see that OpenMRS has a clear project plan for this ( though i may be misreading the thread).

Looks like we can step back from this a bit. There will not be any further technical calls about the DHIS2 bridge (@maurya you are off the hook for Wed) and the team has moved on to different issues. We can do a bit of a post-mortum to understand why this happened and what we can learn from it.

Awesome, really thankful for the feedback.

This is something we’ve not seen before - can you help give us directions on how to recreate this issue?

Correct - But currently we have shifted towards using the DHIS2WebAPI that will be released with the next version (2.1). But it makes sense to give the user the option to select the datasets. Created an issue for it - [DRM-26] - OpenMRS Issues

Yeah, so this is the response we get from DHIS2 when we send the data, we could probably show ignored in red if that will help - or if you have anything in mind of how it will be more useful please let us know - I can create an issue and followup with you.

This gets only a particular type of reports - periodic indicator reports to be mapped. So only they will be displayed. But we might have to use Custom Reports to make disaggregation working through reporting.

Can you verify your DHIS2 version - we will need a version 2.21 or greater for ADX to work (Current I believe is 2.23)[quote=“maimoonak, post:21, topic:7502”] One thing I noticed was that it doesnot post data with category mappings, or may be it just doesnot show it correctly [/quote]

After Shifting the code to work with ADX, the module does not yet build datasets for category/disaggregations.[quote=“maimoonak, post:21, topic:7502”] Mapped Locations still show up in dropdown. [/quote]

Can you help understand what this refers to?

This was added as a codingScheme had to be selected, but even UID will work , created a ticket - [DRM-27] - OpenMRS Issues

1 Like