OCL for OpenMRS squad

In regards with yesterday’s pm call,we had a conclusion that we should first onboard members who would like to work on the OCL project.Here is a google form for which all the interested members should fill so as we can start on the onboarding sessions as soon as possible.lets kindly make sure that we make our submissions before 4PM EAT Wednesday, 12 February 2020 https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe1YlwkT03iAlsLKtXO7E9BD0RpyiX3JLG9c91gvIUQ0izHQA/viewform

cc @mozzy @jennifer @jecihjoy @jdick @kuang @whiscard @dkayiwa @darius @akanter @burke @jwnasambu @irenyak1 @tendomart @mseaton @mogoodrich @karuhanga @paynejd @ibacher @karuhanga @gcliff @reagan @ruhanga @raff @darius

Continuing with OCL,during a discusion with @karuhanga,he tried to raise a couple of things and i would like to just quote them here as he stated them.

" Over the past 3 months, I’ve been re-evaluating the current status of the OCL for OpenMRS codebase, especially in regards to reliability, extensibility and architectural design. I’ve increasingly found it hard to track down and understand bugs and work around key assumptions. It was in this bid that I started experimenting with a v2 of the same concept. I now feel that the functionality in this is at par with the previous codebase, while at the same time eliminating a lot of duplication, and having a better design both architecturally and aesthetically. The codebase for v2 is here(https://github.com/Karuhanga/openmrs-ocl-client-v2/tree/development) and a demo(tracking qa) is currently hosted here(https://openmrs-ocl-client-v2.herokuapp.com/). The ultimate goal here is to increase our velocity which has not been good for the past couple of months while maintaining a stable, bug free application." by @karuhanga. Kindly add your comments which will be responded too as i continue to encourage @karuhanga to get some time to respond to everything.!!

cc @mozzy @jennifer @jecihjoy @jdick @kuang @whiscard @dkayiwa @darius @akanter @burke @jwnasambu @irenyak1 @tendomart @mseaton @mogoodrich @karuhanga @paynejd @ibacher @karuhanga @gcliff @reagan @ruhanga @raff @darius

1 Like

Unfortunately, I have just had a last minute change of schedule which makes it impossible for me to attend tomorrow.

1 Like

Hello this is a reminder to join us for the OCL/OCL for OpenMRS Squad meeting to be held today (Wednesday, 12 February 2020) and every Wednesday : https://iu.zoom.us/j/750230470

• 3pm UTC
  • 6pm EAT
  • 10AM EST (Boston)
  • 9AM CST (Chicago)
  • 7AM (Seattle)

Agenda

-Discussing lincon’s comments

-Discussing the onboarding program

Squad: @herbert24 @mozzy @jennifer @jecihjoy @jdick @kuang @whiscard @dkayiwa @darius @akanter @burke @jwnasambu @irenyak1 @tendomart @mseaton @mogoodrich @karuhanga @paynejd @ibacher

1 Like

From today’s OCL meeting:

• Discussion with @karuhanga about OCL for OpenMRS Version 2. He has spent the last months completely rewriting OCL for OpenMRS. The functionality is comparable to the previous version, but without integration and unit tests. He will use the next 11 days (Sprint 25) to write tests.
  • In the next week (or 2), we should test and review code. @ball agreed to test within the next week. Hopefully @akanter, @jecihjoy and @darius can also test/review.
  • Onboarding and the rest of bug fixing will be delayed until test/review are complete.
  • On Friday, we will import PIH and AMPATH dictionaries into OCL. This isn’t a final pass, but hopefully will uncover any glitches with the dictionaries and process.

@jennifer Could you please add minutes and/or recording to this talk post and the squad wiki page

2 Likes

Notes with a link to the recording from today’s meeting are now on the squad’s Wiki page.

1 Like

@ball thanks alot for the updates @jennifer thanks alot for the sharing notes.i would kindly encourage all those who applied for the onboarding to use this time to go through react tutorials.Will be checking in on the progress for this.Kindly reach out to me incase of any need on the tutorials. cc @reagan @jwnasambu @paynejd @sharif

for all those getting ready for the onboarding kindly checkout this https://reactjs.org/ Note:it will be great having members with the knowledge of react by the time we get to the onboarding sessions @herbert24 @mozzy @jennifer @jecihjoy @jdick @kuang @whiscard @dkayiwa @darius @akanter @burke @jwnasambu @irenyak1 @tendomart @mseaton @mogoodrich @karuhanga @paynejd @ibacher

@herbert24 when is it ?

@tendomart kindly follow the conversations on this thread

Is it that hard to just drop the date ?

its just that there a few things i wanted you to read through on the thread for which i also got you tagged,for example submitting your interest to attend the on boarding sessions.This was done a few days back and i felt that you could be interested that is why i suggested that you first pass through the previous conversations to easily get to the steps that you might have missed!

This is amazing! I wish I had known that @karuhanga was working on this! Lincoln, you really need to join our calls! There are a few issues with what I saw, but it was pretty slick. I think @ball and the team need to review to see whether this is a code base we can build on or not. A bigger question is how do we utilize your time going forward to make improvements with the squad.

1 Like

I am not sure who exactly can respond to my bit of confusion as I am trying to understand what the task is at hand… Noted in this talk thread is that these two versions are similar but would want to know anyway

1. Which code base are we to contribute to?? https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-ocl-client or https://github.com/Karuhanga/openmrs-ocl-client-v2/tree/development I ask this because of this thread OCL for OpenMRS: Sources and Collections which the last message I see @karuhanga says he dropped the idea.
  2. From the discuss on the thread I have just shared there were a number of suggestions that were put forward especially the one of two collections(private collection and public which is published)…Is this the flow we are going with. Am sorry if these were clarified elsewhere or am just missing a point since I dont have much experience with concepts handling…Your help here goes a long way. Kind regards.
1 Like

Hey Reagan,

Communication on this will be made shortly by @herbert24, but even if we go with v2, we’ll move the code to the same repo.

The dropped discussion(different thread) was on whether to split collections and dictionaries and after the discussion, it was clear it wasn’t going to be better than the current approach.

2 Likes

Thanks Andrew, I needed to propose this when it had reached the same level of functionality we previously had and I’d hope we can pick up the pace going forward. I’ve spoken to @herbert24 about my continuing work with this team and we have a way forward that will include me contributing and helping on board new devs.

Kindly share the issues you identified.

4 Likes

great thanks for this @karuhanga

1 Like

Are we planning to record the OnBoarding Sessions on Zoom ?

Hello this is a reminder to join us for the OCL/OCL for OpenMRS Squad meeting to be held today (Wednesday, 12 February 2020) and every Wednesday : https://iu.zoom.us/j/750230470

• 3pm UTC
  • 6pm EAT
  • 10AM EST (Boston)
  • 9AM CST (Chicago)
  • 7AM (Seattle)

Agenda -updates on testing lincon’s code base

Squad: @mozzy @jennifer @jecihjoy @jdick @kuang @whiscard @dkayiwa @darius @akanter @burke @jwnasambu @irenyak1 @tendomart @mseaton @mogoodrich @karuhanga @paynejd @ibacher

1 Like

Hello every one,tomorrow Thursday, 20 February 2020 ,we shall be checking on progress for all members who applied for the on boarding session on a call here uberconference.com/openmrs at 5pm EAT.We expect members to have passed through the react resource that i dropped some time back.Remember to address all your blockers during the call in relation with react.@reagan @sharif @mozzy @jennifer @jecihjoy @jdick @kuang @whiscard @dkayiwa @darius @akanter @burke @jwnasambu @irenyak1 @tendomart @mseaton @mogoodrich @karuhanga @paynejd @ibacher

2 Likes