Nominate a community member to the OpenMRS Inc Board Of Directors for 2019-2020

OpenMRS Inc. is a non-profit organization designed to support the continued growth of the OpenMRS community. One element of the non-profit is a Board of Directors (BoD). The purpose of the Board is to provide guidance to the organization and ensure that we adhere to the mission, vision, and values of OpenMRS.

The OpenMRS community elects one member to the BoD, to serve a 2-year term. In January 2017 we elected @janflowers, and her term is ending on Dec 31, 2018. (Jan is free to choose to run again; there’s no term limit.)

At this time, we need nominations from you as a community member for people you feel would best represent the OpenMRS community on that BOD. What does this mean? Basically, who are people that you all feel bring real world perspectives and fresh thinking to our collective work? Who are people you know would be committed to OpenMRS’s long term success and would be comfortable holding the rest of us accountable to do the same? Who are people with the insights that will lead us toward the real needs within the resource-poor environments throughout the world?

After serving as the first community-elected board member, @jblaya wrote:

“The goal of the OpenMRS community Board seat is to maintain a strong connection between the Board of Directors and the OpenMRS community. My work on the Board of Director has included attending the monthly Board Meeting, representing the viewpoint of the community at large, and following up on action points from those meetings. That has included making introductions to people who could help OpenMRS, helping write and review documentation and talking with other community members to ask for their input on specific topics. It has also meant being involved with other Board members and with those in leadership positions in OpenMRS, to see about how to advance the community or resolve problems. Since this was the first experience of OpenMRS with a Board of Directors, there have been growing pains, and I’ve also been involved in community discussions such as how to have a new leadership and governance model. I’ve been fortunate to attend most of the OpenMRS Implementers meetings which has been a great way to meet new and old members, and also to read and sometimes participate in the conversations in OpenMRS Talk.

There has been other work that is not directly related to the Board position, but helps to stay involved in the community.

We want your nominations for people that would serve on the OpenMRS Board in the capacity as a Community Representative. You may nominate yourself if you feel prepared for this role! The Community Member should attend all BoD meetings virtually; the volunteer time commitment will be up to 4 hours/month. To submit your nomination fill out the form below, or here. The initial nomination period is until 11 January, 2018.

Timeline

The timeline is (updated 3 Jan):

• Nominations until 11 January, 2019
  • Candidate prepared statements due 16 January
  • Elections run from 16 - 28 January
  • Result announce by 29 January
  • New representative to take office 1 February, 2019

________
* see this discussion on deciding on election timing

If anyone would like to know more about what the Community BOD Member does and what you will be asked to do during the 2-year term, I’m glad to talk to folks about my experience. It’s been really interesting to serve in this role, and I would highly encourage any community member to apply that is interested in helping to bridge the community/non-profit organization relationship and be a part of the community leadership. You can see some of the work that we do as a board here to get an idea of what you’d be involved in.

Please reach out to me and ask any questions you’d like answered. Happy to do that publicly or in a private message.

Jan

@darius, can you update your original post here to reflect the updated dates (i.e., nominations through end of OMRS18 and then voting through the end of January 2019)?

The updated timeline (and I edited the original post also):

• Nominations until Dec 8 (i.e. nominations allowed until the end of OMRS18)
  • Candidate prepared statements due Dec 10
  • Elections run Dec 12 - Jan 25
  • Result announced by Jan 30
  • New representative to take office from Feb 1

We apologize for the delay in filling the community member to the OpenMRS Board Of Directors. Self nominations are encouraged! We have modified the new timeline for nominations as below:

1. Nominations until January 11, 2019
  2. Candidate prepared statements due January 16
  3. Elections run from January 16 - January 28
  4. Result announce by January 29
  5. New representative to take office February 1, 2019

Please reach out if you have any questions. A reminder that @janflowers is available to answer any of your questions. This is a GREAT opportunity to serve on the Board of Directors, and help inform and guide the future of OpenMRS! We look forward to your participation.

4 Likes

Greetings.

I would like to nominate Steven Wanyee from Kenya

@carina, that’s a great suggestion. Please make sure to use the Google Form linked in the original post (at om.rs/nominate) to ensure your nomination is included.

2 Likes

Thanks @burke. I filled out the Google form.