Need help installing MySQL

I have been working on installing OpenMRS for a few days, and I keep getting an error when trying to fully install MySQL. I have been following this Step by Step Installation for Developers - Documentation - OpenMRS Wiki.

I have installed Java version 11.0.15, and I have mysql version 5.6.51 downloaded.

When trying to install mysql, I keep getting the error “cannot access archive ‘mysql-common_5.6.51-1debian9_amd64.deb’: no such file or directory”. However, I have the exact file pulled up in my downloads. (I have also tried with other files, and none of them work. I also found that I used l instead of 1 a few times, but I corrected that.)

I will try any changes and suggestions. Thanks, Brennan

Oo sorry @brennansmith450 about this. This error normally happens when you are in a wrong directory. Therefore you will need to navigate to the correct directory where your downloaded file is. Forexample cd Downloads if your pwd(present working directory) is home. Otherwise you will need to first change dorectory to home Home. Then execute the command as you had done.

Thank you for answering! Just so I make sure I understand you, I believe the files are in the “downloaded” section of my files. So how would I need to change my command to fit the correct area?

Go to Downloads directory before executing the command;

1. open terminal(shortcut Ctr+Alt+T)
  2. cd Downloads
  3. sudo dpkg -i mysql-common_5.6.51-1debian9_amd64.deb

Oh sorry! The error message No such file or directory means that the .deb file does not exist, or does not exist in the current directory. So you should be able to install it by running this command:

sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/wineqq2012-20120719-longene.deb

If that doesn’t work, try typing

sudo dpkg -i

without pressing Enter. Add a space to the end. Then drag the file from the file browser into the Terminal window. That will paste its full path. Then press Enter. I also come across this video How to Install MySQL Server 5.7 on Ubuntu 20.04 - YouTube hopefully it can be of help!

Thank you! I was able to install some of the files. However, some are showing this dependency error. I read on the wiki page that it could be because they have to be downloaded in a certain order, but I have tried every order I could think of!

Some of the packages are saying ‘“package” depends on libiao1"’. What is that? Is that something else I need to download? It also says Package python is not installed.

oo sorry about that @brennansmith450 , let me attempt your last question first, Application mysql(database engine)'s binary installation explicitly has a dependency relationship. so libaio library is one of the dependencies. for linux-based systems, its on the kernel that allows asynchronous I/O(AIO) of processes. before installing it, check the exact packege available on your system pkg manager using;

`sudo apt search libaio`

then install using;

sudo apt install libaio1

so when package dependency exists, it means a certain order has to be followed to install the dependencies which i hope you have followed. am afraid you did not preconfigure your Mysql-server package. if you did not pliz do by;

sudo dpkg-preconfigure mysql-community-server_version-and-platform-specific-part.deb

replacing the .deb file with your own.

If you are being warned of unmet dependencies by dpkg, you can fix them using apt-get:

`sudo apt-get -f install`

hope that helps.

Thank you so much! I finally got MySQL completely installed. I’m unsure if I should make a new post, or just continue on this one.

1. Following the original step by step guide, I need to install an IDE? But when I click on the link, it doesn’t tell me exactly what to do. I’m using the Linux system (not OS or Windows).

2. To install Git, from this website: GitHub - openmrs/openmrs-core: OpenMRS API and web application code, do I use the ‘.github’/how do I download one of the options? I know I need the OpenMRS Platform code. I have also tried this website: Git - Installing Git (git-scm.com). Which tells me specific commands to write, but they don’t seem to work. ’ sudo apt-get install dh-autoreconf libcurl4-gnutls-dev libexpat1-dev ’

Wow! this is encouraging! Am not certain between intellij and eclipse what you have narrowed down too. To download eclipse, kindly follow this link Eclipse IDE for Linux Developers | Eclipse Packages for intellij kindly follow this link Download IntelliJ IDEA – The Leading Java and Kotlin IDE.

@brennansmith450 to install git on you linux machine kindly feel free to follow this guide Git then create your github account. When its successfully installed let us know.

I have downloaded Eclipse .64 and Git. I tried to do ‘maven clean install’ but I got this error.

Thank you so much for your help and walking me through these steps.

Oh sorry! Kindly share the entire error log using pastebin please!

If you need a different format, please let me know.

usasrfc@usasrfc-HP-Pavilion-dv7-Notebook-PC:~$ mvn clean install WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred WARNING: Illegal reflective access by com.google.inject.internal.cglib.core.$ReflectUtils$1 (file:/usr/share/maven/lib/guice.jar) to method java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(java.lang.String,byte[],int,int,java.security.ProtectionDomain) WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of com.google.inject.internal.cglib.core.$ReflectUtils$1 WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release [INFO] Scanning for projects… [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------ [INFO] BUILD FAILURE [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------ [INFO] Total time: 0.327 s [INFO] Finished at: 2022-08-01T15:44:39-05:00 [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------ [ERROR] The goal you specified requires a project to execute but there is no POM in this directory (/home/usasrfc). Please verify you invoked Maven from the correct directory. → [Help 1] [ERROR] [ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e switch. [ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging. [ERROR] [ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles: [ERROR] [Help 1] MissingProjectException - Apache Maven - Apache Software Foundation

The above error is as a result of the current directory that you are executing mvn clean install command not having a pom.xml Just change your current dir to where your pom resides and execute mvn command there. Just incase its your new created project, you need to create a pom.xml. Kindly don’t do it yourself, use new maven project feature of your preferred IDE e.g. IntelliJ Idea or Eclipse.

I successfully did the ‘mvn clean install’ command.

I tried to do the ‘mvn jetty:run’ command, but I got this error. Do I need to download Tomcat? Since it was optional I didn’t do that, but if it makes this run more smoothly I will.

1. usasrfc@usasrfc-HP-Pavilion-dv7-Notebook-PC:~$ mvn jetty:run

2. WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred

3. WARNING: Illegal reflective access by com.google.inject.internal.cglib.core.$ReflectUtils$1 (file:/usr/share/maven/lib/guice.jar) to method java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(java.lang.String,byte[],int,int,java.security.ProtectionDomain)

4. WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of com.google.inject.internal.cglib.core.$ReflectUtils$1

5. WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations

6. WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

7. [INFO] Scanning for projects…

8. Downloaded many different things from central (I took them out because there were too many hyperlinks)

9. [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. [INFO] BUILD FAILURE

11. [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------

12. [INFO] Total time: 6.621 s

13. [INFO] Finished at: 2022-08-01T16:51:38-05:00

14. [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------

15. [ERROR] No plugin found for prefix ‘jetty’ in the current project and in the plugin groups [org.apache.maven.plugins, org.codehaus.mojo] available from the repositories [local (/home/usasrfc/.m2/repository), central (Central Repository:)] → [Help 1]

16. [ERROR]

17. [ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e switch.

18. [ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.

19. [ERROR]

20. [ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:

21. [ERROR] [Help 1]

Yes you need it.

I have downloaded Tomcat, but I did just realize I downloaded the 32 bit Windows, even though I use Linux. The website guide said to use a 32/64 bit or bz2, but I could not find the bz2 option. I do I need to try a different version?

After I download it, what do I need to do? I was trying to follow these instructions: Install Tomcat on Ubuntu – Simple Step-by-Step Guide, but I wasn’t sure how to proceed at step 4 (it looks like I needed to change the code, and I’m unsure how to do so.)

Dear @brennansmith450 I think you don’t need to use native way of setting up the openmrs platform try using openmrs sdk OpenMRS SDK Step By Step Tutorials - Documentation - OpenMRS Wiki there is also another option of using docker which you could use even to deploy in production. Installing OpenMRS on Docker - Documentation - OpenMRS Wiki

I’m sorry, but the tutorials make no sense to me. If this way would be better, I can look more into it. However, I will take whichever option will be easiest to set up while still doing what I need it to do!