MySQL 5.7 E.O.L (March - October 2023)

Hi folks, @Platform_Team platform 2.5 brought major changes to mysql database versions that is 8.5 to 9,

mysql 5.7 is soon reaching it’s end of life in October 2023. MySQL | endoflife.date if not March 1 2023ty

1. My concern and question is where does this leave implementations still using 2.4.X and below. if these versions are nolonger recieving support / security updates ?

2. Refapp distro images running lower versions may pause a security threat.

3. Is it my own thinking , do we have refapp distro 2.13 docker image somewhere ? or someone has to do some plumbing to come up with one?

2 Likes

platform 2.4x line supports MySQL versions from 5.6 to 8.0. Besides, I believe now days the libraries are upgraded automatically which makes things a bit quick. :laughing:

1 Like

ooh thanks @jwnasambu

My concern and question is where does this leave implementations still using 2.4.X and below. if these versions are nolonger recieving support / security updates ?

Note that our policy is to support 3 versions of the platform. Currently, I think that means we support 2.4.x, 2.5.x, 2.6.x. Obviously there are implementations running other versions. We are, of course, happy to port bugfixes back to previous versions where the level of effort is reasonable and there’s a specific ask. And if there are security updates that we can reasonably backport, we will aim to do so. We’ve also in the past supported some reasonably extreme measures where we had an implementer willing to commit resources to get something working on an old version.

MySQL, however, is not software we manage; nor do we have the capacity to be able to continue supporting MySQL beyond the lifespan of the vendor. We would strongly advise implementations not to rely on software that’s at or near the EOL, but sometimes the migration effort can make that hard.

Yep.

Yes, we have Docker images for pretty much every release of the RefApp. Note that the docker images themselves don’t contain MySQL as we’ve always relied on an external database server (or the default docker-compose stack which includes MySQL).

3 Likes

thanks @ibacher