My OpenMRS Fellowship Journey: Piumal Rathnayake

Hi everyone, It has been almost one month since I started my OpenMRS Fellowship journey.

During the last two weeks of the month, I was mainly working on the OpenMRS3 Patient Lists E2E tests. My task was to list out the required set of E2E tests and implement them using Playwright. Initially, I went through the patient lists app to gain an understanding of its basic functionality, and updated the 3.0 E2E Testing Plan: Workflow Cases Document with the suggested list of E2E tests. Meanwhile, I went through the esm-patient-lists micro frontend and the openmrs-cohort-module to identify the API endpoints that needed to be used when writing the tests.

However, the patient lists app had a lot of bugs and errors, and that was a blocker to continuing my work on writing the E2E tests. Therefore, I listed out all those issues and created this thread seeking solutions. Additionally, I created this set of JIRA tickets for fixing those bugs and errors. Until these issues are resolved, I was able to get familiar with Playwright and E2E tests by referring to the Playwright documentation.

Regarding RefApp 2.x E2E tests, I identified another failing E2E test and created a JIRA ticket for resolving that. A new contributor worked on the ticket, so I was able to help him by reviewing the pull request. With that, now all the RefApp 2.x E2E tests are fixed.

The other task I worked on was researching on Unit and Integration tests, for designing a good testing strategy for micro frontends. For that, I went through several documentations, blog posts and articles to get an understanding of testing environments, common testing patterns, best practices etc. I hope to come up with a detailed document on my findings in the upcoming week.

5 Likes