My OpenMRS Fellowship Journey: Daud

FIRST PHASE: MAY

Resurrecting Breaking Tests within Reference Application Module

This has been a wonderful experience fixing a couple of breaking tests in openmrs- distro- referenceapplication module. Working on these tests has advanced my technical skills in debugging tests and being able to understand the hookup between openmrs-contrib-uitestframework and openmrs-distro- referenceapplication module. A demo showing a resurrected test can be located here

Reading a number of resources about Quality Assurance: Thoughts on Testing, Breaking and Fixing and Junit Library made me grow faster my technical know-how about the test classes present on the module.

Working on a blocker made me comprehend things that happen behind the seen concerning Cl build plans which I didn’t know before. Though more hours was spent on resolution, But it was worth the time helping me understand how the child module’s dependencies access its resources from the parent module through the configurations present in the <pom.xml> file. Researching about HTTP vs HTTPS made me know how OpenMRS modules are resolved at the conical repo present at maven repository. I got to know through @ibacher’s response to my comment

Helping others when blocked

Besides unblocking the victim, the experience has added a value onto my debugging skills in a special way getting the opportunity to learn what could be the exact cause and be able to figure out the resolution. This is gratifying to becoming a resource to the community

Dr. Travis

This tool is amazing in how at a trigger of a commit it instantly deploys the changes unto the server and returns a reliable report to the client. Waiting for the results whenever I push a commit makes me curious to see the report. I get a smile when I see green otherwise looking through the logs aids me figure out where things are breaking until Dr. Travis is happy.

1:1 with my mentor

@k.joseph is not only a mentor but a technical expert and a coach all at once. The fellowship weekly call not only motivates but also keeps me interested in the program. His advises has helped me be more fruitful, and providing support whenever am blocked. This is worth imitating and compels me to do the same.

Collaborating with other contributors

Working with colleagues’ @irenyak1 @jwnasambu @sharif @gracebish and others is a thrilling experience learning from them every single day.

Looking forward to achieving quality software releases from a community where writing a code saves millions of lives around the world :globe_with_meridians:.

10 Likes