Mapping FHIR Medications to OpenMRS

I’ve got a couple of simple questions related to trying to map the FHIR Medication resource to the OpenMRS Drug object.

1. Am I right in assuming that Drug.dosageForm is intended to correspond to a concept set similar to CIEL-162350? I ask because this seems to be the intended use of the Medication.form element.

2. Would it be helpful to add the ability to mark DrugIngredients as active or inactive?

That is correct.

Is there any specific use case that you have in mind? Do you plan to deal with the cases where not all inactive ingredients are always inactive. For example an ingredient like Alcohol which may be active or inactive based on the specific formulation of the medication.

Aren’t DrugIngredients already tied to a specific Drug? I would’ve thought this information could be recorded in much the same way as we currently store, e.g., DrugIngredient.strength.

I don’t have a specific use case for this; I was simply wondering if it might be useful information (i.e., its data representable in FHIR that seems to be potentially clinically useful, but which we don’t have a mapping for in OpenMRS).

Generally, my take on such is, delay implementing nice to haves until when we get use cases that transition them to needed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We used to have a link in the concept tables which would provide drug-ingredient mapping, but I am not sure if it is still there. Generally I used the map from drug to concept to capture which ingredients are included in the drug, but don’t include non-active ingredients. I also map to RxNORM codes and these can be used to determine ingredients for US-prescribable drugs, but these relationships are not in OpenMRS (although could be).

1 Like

That’s good to know. Thanks!