Looking for a mentor for GSoD2020 project (Improving Documentation for New Developers)

Sorry for taking long to join the discussion.

I joined this great community last year in November, with a little knowledge about development though i hard read plenty of Java programming Books. The fact is that i had made very many personal projects and applications which made me think that am an expert in Java Programming. But when i joined OpenMRS, brothers and sisters, i realized i knew nothing :neutral_face: :neutral_face:.

@herbert24 and some other guys gave me a warm welcoming message with a link pointing on how to get started with OpenMRS. Things were really interesting but i hard to follow my passion of becoming a developer. So without wasting time, i read the developers’ manual. Friends, there are alot of loop-Holes in developers Manual, no-wonder, there are alot of topics on OpenMRS Talk about Failiure to install OpenMRS. I read the developers Manual from cover to cover, more than once, some time spending some days on the some pages, but still i failed, untill @herbert24, @ibacher, @jwnasambu @tendomart @sharif and some other people, helped on talk. The fact is that i was soon dumping the career of programming just because of the OpenMRS installation, and go back to reading Chemistry and Biology. I am not the only person who faced this challenge, i hope, because even @sidvaish97 created a thread, Breaking down walls and attracting more devs to OpenMRS , which is similar to my story.

I know there are alot of arising developers, shaing a story similar to mine, but if this project is accomplished, OpenMRS developers, implements and documentors will increase due to;

1. Reduction in demotivating Errors while setting up OpenMRS, if not totally got read of. Remember some people out there, with a desire of becoming developrs, join openMRS while they have never seen an Error in there life. They join OpenMRS after watching some learn Java in 5 minutes videos on You Tube.

2. I believe this project will reduce the traffic on OpenMRS Talk because newcomers will sail through setting-up OpenMRS smoothly, and learning how to contribute easily.

Well @rainbow Thank you for implementing my thought. I strongly Believe that this project is as important as the rest of the projects. However i would also love to be a backup mentor for this project.

2 Likes