Keeping tabs on health informatics literature

There are a number of scholarly journals about medical informatics. I was thinking it would be cool to produce something like a quarterly digest of the articles that might be relevant and interesting to the OpenMRS community. Is anyone already doing this kind of thing?

@hamish @jteich @akanter @burke @jblaya @thannan ?

3 Likes

Hi Brandon Yes I am working on a plan for regular reviews of the literature. Is that something you (or others on Talk) are interested in collaborating on? Regards

Hamish

sig-brown-logo.png

3 Likes

Great idea! I’d be happy to include a digest or something in our virtual community meetings and/or news updates.

1 Like

Hi Hamish, great, yes I’d be happy to collaborate. I’ll message you.

AMIA has a number of annual Year in Review sessions, in which one person – the curator – asks everyone for best articles in a field, then puts many of them together into a list. Perhaps we could have a place on Talk, Slack, etc., to post interesting articles as they appear, to make @hamish 's job easier.

Also, global health is often included in the AMIA talks as a section, so at least once or twice a year we can get content from them.

1 Like

Thanks Jonathan It would be very helpful to have people submit articles particularly off they are not formal publications e.g. reports, internal but sharable or official reports so we can create a repository.

We are also going to do a systematic review of the published and accessible literature which will take significant work in sifting and organizing. OpenMRS is a nice specific items to search and has over 3000 hits on Google Scholar!

A key next step is to create the repository and a sign up list for people interested in this project.

Hamish

sig-brown-logo.png

We can easily set up a Talk thread where anyone can share interesting articles, publications, and poster presentations.

@Hamish, do you think we could use our Knowledge Center to maintain a more comprenhensive, curated list or repository?

Is there a free (or free to open source) reference management service that would help– e.g., something like zoterobib?

Ideally, there would be an online service that would support a shared or distributed list of citations that could easily search & import from Google Scholar, PubMed, etc. as well as categorize/tag to distinguish between “possibly relevant” & “vetted” (or even “mobile”, “hie”, etc.). Or maybe Google Scholar and/or PubMed have this capability?