Q: How old is our backlog? (Average age of tickets since created)
A: Average age of open issues since creation is: 1,500 days (4 years) for RefApp, 2,000 days (5 years) in Core
Q: What % of open RA/TRUNK tickets have not been updated for >4 years?
- Our backlog is stale. Most old tickets are no longer critical. Either handled or no longer critical because sites’ needs have changed, or no longer makes sense on current version of OMRS.
- We need a better process. Even if we started with 0 issues right now, we’d end up in the same place later, if we don’t have a consistent way of addressing the backlog. Many tickets sit in a “maybe we should do this someday” state. Makes it difficult to prioritize and talk about / see what we’re actually working on as a community.
- The many-step workflows are painful. It’s difficult to transition an issue through the many steps, so it’s hard for our community to collectively keep things up-to-date together.
An issue tracking system that clearly shows what’s important and what’s ready to work on, and is easy for the community to keep up to date.
Here’s what we’re doing about it
- Immediate Jira Cleanup: Meeting ~ 1x/week to clean up the backlog (like was mentioned here), so that we can focus our attention on the more recent requests that are more likely to still be important. We’ll likely be applying rules like “if a ticket hasn’t been updated in >4 years, cancel the ticket”. Anyone is welcome to attend these; they’ll often be during Design Forum times but I’ll post in advance so people know when to join.
- Monthly Backlog Reviews: We’ll schedule a monthly time (open to anyone) where we’ll go through the more recent backlog of tickets, to do more clean up and triage.
- Standard Workflow Change: With community consultation, we’d like to simplify the workflow steps of tickets, and make it easier for people to keep the ticket status updated - so we can keep our Jira up-to-date together as a community!
Adjusting the workflow would always look like this, and anyone would be able to adjust the ticket as long as they are logged-in to their Jira account:
If you clicked “Done” or “Closed”, we’d just ask you to clarify the Resolution status. That’s it.
The board would look roughly like this:
We’d host community training sessions about the change. Squads would be able to configure the workflow if needed, but we’d all share the same simple starting place.
What you can do!
Help clean up old tickets you’re familiar with: Review any tickets assigned to you or created by you in RA or TRUNK, and close or cancel old ones that are done or no longer relevant. Use this link (and make sure you are logged-in). Let us know if you run into permission issues.
Share your feedback on the workflow: What do you think of the proposed Simplified Workflow? Let us know in this thread!