Is OpenMRS ready-to-use for clinicians needing to document patient interactions?

I am looking for software that is ready-to-use for a volunteer project my organization manages. We need a free Electronic Health Record program for clinicians to document patient interactions. Would OpenMRS offer that? The demo seemed to be exactly what we need, but when I go to download and run the program, I get error messages and the forums seem to be geared toward developers rather than on-the-ground workers.

Do you mind sharing the error messages you get when you download and run?

Hi Daniel - Below is the text pulled from the box “TomCat Port” “MySQL Port” - I have tried running both the stand alone and reference software. My main question, however, is this program “ready-to-use” for docs to use or is there customization needed for it to be ready? Thank you for your help. Erica

"Initial configuration needed Deleting active database Unzipping database from emptydatabase.zip Resetting connection.password to ‘test’ Attempting to load properties file in current directory: openmrs-standalone-runtime.properties Using runtime properties file: openmrs-standalone-runtime.properties Attempting to load properties file in current directory: openmrs-standalone-runtime.properties Using runtime properties file: openmrs-standalone-runtime.properties Working directory is /Applications/referenceapplication-standalone-2.11.0/. Opening MySQL connection to create openmrs/test users [/Applications/referenceapplication-standalone-2.11.0/database/bin/mysqld][–no-defaults][–basedir=/Applications/referenceapplication-standalone-2.11.0/database][–max_allowed_packet=96M][–port=3316][–datadir=/Applications/referenceapplication-standalone-2.11.0/database/data][–character-set-server=utf8][–socket=mysql.sock][–collation-server=utf8_general_ci][–pid-file=/Applications/referenceapplication-standalone-2.11.0/database/data/MysqldResource.pid] [MysqldResource] launching mysqld (driver_launched_mysqld_1) Exception in thread “driver_launched_mysqld_1” com.mysql.management.util.WrappedException: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program “/Applications/referenceapplication-standalone-2.11.0/database/bin/mysqld”: error=86, Bad CPU type in executable at com.mysql.management.util.Exceptions.toRuntime(Exceptions.java:55) at com.mysql.management.util.Exceptions$Block.exec(Exceptions.java:89) at com.mysql.management.util.RuntimeI$Default.exec(RuntimeI.java:180) at com.mysql.management.util.Shell$Default.run(Shell.java:140) at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:832) Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program “/Applications/referenceapplication-standalone-2.11.0/database/bin/mysqld”: error=86, Bad CPU type in executable at java.base/java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1142) at java.base/java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1073) at java.base/java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:591) at com.mysql.management.util.RuntimeI$Default$1.inner(RuntimeI.java:177) at com.mysql.management.util.Exceptions$Block.exec(Exceptions.java:86) … 3 more Caused by: java.io.IOException: error=86, Bad CPU type in executable at java.base/java.lang.ProcessImpl.forkAndExec(Native Method) at java.base/java.lang.ProcessImpl.(ProcessImpl.java:313) at java.base/java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(ProcessImpl.java:244) at java.base/java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1109) … 7 more

have you seen this https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/OpenMRS+Standalone secondly,secondly which java version are you running?

@herbert24 you should notice from the stack trace that he is already using the standalone version. But unfortunately, the standalone does not run on Mac OS Catalina. Some difficulty with setting up Standalone package

@erpike did you try installing the enterprise version of OpenMRS? Or try the standalone version on any other computer that is running lower versions of the Mac OS.

1 Like

I think the easiest way is to simple run a docker container using Docker compose .

simply install Docker and Docker compose :wink:

1 Like