Is it a requirement to use Eclipse IDE ?

Just curious if it is possible to use another development workflow to contribute, thanks.

1 Like

No. You may use which ever IDE you want. Some people even use text editors. :slight_smile: But an IDE like Eclipse or IntelliJ Idea will definitely make development fast and easy.

2 Likes

Ok thanks, still working through the developer guides and wasn’t sure if that was a requirement for writing unit tests or what. Thanks again

You can write unit tests without using the eclipse IDE. But there is an openmrs test case generation eclipse plugin that makes creating tests fast and easy. Like I said before its not necessary to use eclipse or intelij but it makes development fast and easy.

4 Likes

No, you don’t have to use an IDE at all. You can use Atom/ST/Emacs/Vim – they all have java support. Vim/Emacs/ST/Atom use a headless version of eclipse though.

HOWEVER it does make life easier but i’ve gotten co/Emfortable in my emacs setup (it’s also worth noting that my work isn’t in Java – but I still know what’s out there and possible – there are many guides online to set up Atom/ST/Vim/Emacs (spacemacs is probably the easiest way to run emacs)).

3 Likes

Ah, okay, so there’s a plugin that actually generates tests. That’s definitely worth it! Thanks

@r0bby understood, thanks man. I’m pretty used to just MacVim and Terminal w/Tmux and zsh, but if there’s a good OpenMRS plugin for test writing that works with Eclipse, than maybe that’s worth a try. Thanks again.

We have a plugin for eclipse – I’m not quite sure how to install it as I haven’t done work in the EMR in years.

If you are going to use Eclipse just for the plugin and you’re not comfortable with Eclipse, I don’t think it’s worth it. Naming the test method is pretty easy without the plugin.

2 Likes

+1.

If you are doing proper test-driven development, the plugin is not useful.

The plugin particularly helps you add tests after the fact, which was great years ago when we were trying to get out of a big test deficit, but going forward it actually promotes the wrong workflow.

Personally I prefer IntelliJ, but really any Java-focused IDE is fine.

4 Likes

Ok, thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.

1 Like