Introducing Grace Potma, OpenMRS Director of Product!

I’d like to extend a warm welcome to Grace Potma, who will be taking up the role of Director of Product for the OpenMRS Community. In this role, she’ll collaborate with squads and our technical/product committees, community members and implementers on the ground to understand user needs, define priorities, ensure that our roadmap reflects these priorities, and move these from concept to realization through a defined technical process.

Grace comes to us from Thrive Health, a healthcare software startup in Canada where she was the Director of Product Management and Clinical Informatics. Grace is not only a Product Manager, but a Registered Nurse with a specialty in Emergency Nursing and a Masters in Business Administration. She says, “I loved the detective work and fast-pace of Critical Care, but I left bedside care to study business because I wanted to understand and influence the systemic problems I was seeing.”

At Thrive Health, she helped build highly configurable software to help patients explain their stories electronically, in a way that converted into clinician-friendly language and made it easy for staff to identify at-risk patients early. This meant heavily using HL7 FHIR, Decision Support, clinical terminologies, and a building many configuration UIs for rapid site-by-site customization. Among her favorite experiences were (1) seeing Thrive’s products help a whole healthcare system automatically identify vulnerable patients many months ahead of surgeries instead of just days before, and (2) designing and building COVID apps for governments and citizens across Canada that reached over 4 million people within weeks of launching. Grace brings valuable experience building up a strong team over the years. Grace shared: “The model was very collaborative, and clinical, product, design, and technical people all worked together closely.”

We’re excited to have Grace join our community!

11 Likes

Thank you for the introduction, Jennifer!

I’m delighted to be joining this community. I welcome everyone to reach out as I really enjoy hearing about peoples’ lives and the problems they are working on right now. My calendar is public too: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=Z3JhY2VAb3Blbm1ycy5vcmc

I look forward to learning from and working with you all!

6 Likes

your welcome @grace to the community :+1:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @grace.

2 Likes

most welcome @grace , it will be nice working with you

2 Likes

@grace You are warmly welcome t the community we are happy to see you

3 Likes

@grace welcome to the community grace,good to have you!

2 Likes

Kindly welcome to this productive community @grace we are privileged to working with you. :hugs:

3 Likes

Welcome, @grace! Glad to have you on board!

4 Likes

We are glad to have you Grace

1 Like

Thank you so much everyone for the warm welcome - I’ve had a great week and I’m learning so much. More to come! I love connecting with people - please never hesitate to reach out. I also really love product demos so any time anyone would like to geek out together over a feature or talk through a workflow or UI design - I’m here for you :nerd_face:

At the suggestion of some members we added the Director of Product job description to the Wiki here too: https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/RES/Director+of+Product

4 Likes