Applications for the host country are now open for OpenMRS 2020 and 2021. Last year we started the initiative of having countries apply a year in advance for the next conference to help countries with advance planning. This year we are looking for two countries, one which will host the 2020 and the other will host the 2021 implementers’ conference.
We take into cognizance with the current COVID_19 pandemic that an in-country meeting for the 2020 conference might not be possible - and we do not want to put anyone’s health at risk. Thus, we advise that interested host countries use this opportunity to plan a virtual conference and be open to hosting an in-person conference should the situation allow. Given this will be a new approach, the host country will receive extensive support from the OpenMRS community to actualise this event.
This being the 14th year of the annual meeting, the OpenMRS Implementers’ Conference (OMRS) is held in a different country where our community gathers to learn from each other and celebrate their accomplishments. Last year, the implementer’s conference was hosted by Mozambique for the second time with the other conference being in the year 2015. There was an attendance of 170 delegates from 22 countries across the world.
If you are interested in hosting the 2020 or 2021 OpenMRS Implementers’ Conference, please review the following criteria we’ve developed to help ensure success and guide you in the preparations for this event:
- Significant local OpenMRS community activity, that is, a presence of regional community with the country, hackathons, long-standing community membership e.t.c.
- Country helps support the long-term strategic interests of the OpenMRS community
- Easy access, that is, good international airport, liberal visa policies, local transportation.
- Availability of travel and hotel infrastructure suitable to host the meeting.
- Provision of good security throughout the conference.
- Commitment to OpenMRS as a network, regional, or country level platform for patient-level record keeping.
- Strong local hosting organization with an ability to engage local resources/sponsorship
- Underserved environment.
- Willingness to host site visits.
- Willingness to host sessions virtually
The country with the strongest application that meets the above criteria will be selected to host the 2020 Implementers’ conference. Unless otherwise stated, any applications for OMRS20 that are not selected will be included as applicants for the 2021 Implementers’ conference. The host country can also state which year they wish to take on the conference.
If interested, please fill in the following application form: Here
If applying for the 2020 implementers’ conference, please include details of how you would visualize a virtual meeting taking place in your application. As highlighted, this approach is new in the community and thus welcome ideas on how best to make this happen.
If you have any questions, please send an email to events@ openmrs.org . One can also get in touch directly with :
The application deadline for OMRS20 is: 30th April 2020 at 11:59 pm in whichever time zone you’re applying in.
Applications for OMRS21 may be submitted through September 30, 2020 at 11:59pm in whichever time zone you’re applying in.