Interested Contributors, Get Ready for GSoC 2023

Google Summer of Code 2023 is here. Applications for interested open source organizations opened on January 23, 2023, and contributor applications open on March 20, 2023. GSoC 2023 is expected to run between May 4, 2023 - November 13, 2023.

Contributors need to wait until officially OpenMRS is accepted as a mentoring organization for GSoC 2023. After that only, we will release a list of projects which will be carried on for GSoC 2023 with our community mentors.

In the meantime, what can you do to get ready for GSoC 2023?

1. If you are new to OpenMRS, spend some time with our OpenMRS demo 2.x, 3.x and how it’s used around the world.
  2. Get to know our community, what we do, and how we do it with our Guide for the New & Curious:
  • Learn about OpenMRS and our community
  • Discover our community conventions
  • Get to know our Squads and Teams
  • Choose your flight path
  1. Introduce yourself on the community introduction page on OpenMRS Talk.
  2. Have a question? Ask others in the community. If you ask questions the smart way, you’ll get better responses.
  3. Be active on the OpenMRS Talk forum, and help others to solve their issues regarding developments, testings, and deployments.
  4. The following programming languages are only some examples for most used programming languages for OpenMRS development with Java, JavaScript, Typescript, React, Gulp, Spring, Hibernate, HTML, CSS, JSP, GSP, MySQL, and so many frameworks and libraries. Please go around OpenMRS projects to get more familiar with the languages/frameworks/libraries we use.
  5. Go through the past projects to get ideas about the kinds of projects we’ve supported in the past.
  1. Learn about OpenMRS Pull Request tips, How to Send a Good Pull Request and Coding Standards.
  2. Do some code reviews. Reviewing code from others is one of the great ways to learn the OpenMRS code base.
  3. Achieve /dev/1 status. (earn the /dev/null badge and then earn the Smart Developer badge by passing the quiz).
  4. If you’re returning to do GSoC with OpenMRS for a repeat term, be just as thorough (or more so!) than first-time contributors. Don’t skip steps and work extra hard to impress your mentor(s).
  5. Watch out the voted date for newcomers orientation session and be part of it.

Be active, ask smart questions, and improve your chances to join OpenMRS for Google Summer of Code 2023!

Resources on OpenMRS Projects

If you have any questions, please raise it on talk or in the respective thread to clarify.

/cc: @jayasanka @jennifer

12 Likes

Watch out the voted date for newcomers orientation session and be part of it.

3 Likes

Thank You sir for that information. I achieve the dev/1 badge and all steps you give for GSOC. but I have a question about how I select for GSOC 2023 in a project. @jayasanka @jennifer

The question isn’t clear. @parthis do you mind to clarify it so that proper guidance is provided?

sir, I cleared all the steps ready for GSOC 2023. but I can not have any idea what should be I do now.

This is a great step!

As per the program timeline, we are currently waiting Feb 22rd for the list of accepted mentoring organizations to be published and once the organisation is confirmed then the next step will be potential GSoC contributors discussing application ideas with the community.

So in the meantime, you can utilize this resource. Btw have you had a chance to take a look at?

1 Like

ok sir thank you so much sir

@kdaud Thank you for the informations provided. I just joined the community, please who do we discuss project ideas with and how to reach out to better understand the project and discuss my ideas.

1 Like

Welcome @juliet to the community and it’s great to see you interested in GSoC.

You need to checkout the Summer of Code 2023 - Resources - OpenMRS Wiki and find out which project idea interests you.

The next step would be understanding the project requirements through reading it’s description and getting to know the skills required.

To participate in the project discussions, you can post your project ideas on the OpenMRS talk forum or engage with the community on other communication channels, such as the OpenMRS Slack workspace. You can also attend community meetings and events to learn more about the project and connect with potential mentors.

@kdaud Thanks for your response I am working on that already

Hi, please i have an issue loging into the jira issue dasbard System Dashboard - OpenMRS Issues with my openMRS username and password. I do not know why. When ever I try, they keep telling me incorrect username or password I have done several password reset yet i can’t still login. I will apperciate if someone can clearify me why it happens like this. thanks

To login into jira issue dashboard you should have access for login. Which is different from openMRS talk access(ID is same) You have to apply for access by navigating to help center Get access to wiki and issue tracker

@njiddasalifu check on the openMRS help desk for more help

thank you @sonii and @agabaderrick I think i have requested for the access.

@kdaud thanks for this info. I wish to ask if where can one find the slack work space link and also for the meetings, how do one get the meeting details and how to join. I tried to join a meeting today at 2:20 EST but was told I don’t have access to it. Don’t know if i was actually at the rigth place

@njiddasalifu here is the link to the slack work space though I encourage you to use OpenMRS talk forum for any question since it has a wider audience.

You can always checkout What’s Happening This Week: 27 Feb 2023 - 3 Mar 2023

1 Like

Thanks @kdaud, for the update. Let’s ride.

@kdaud I created a talk forum about a project I am interested in contributing to but haven’t gotten replies yet.Please how can you help regarding to this.

@kdaud Please how do I get my OpenMRS ID, I want to apply for access to Jira and I have been checking my dashboard for one