Installing OpenMRS modules

Hi All,

I am exploring OpenMRS for an application and am having trouble with the initial setup. • I have downloaded and set up the initial OpenMRS application and have installed the UI module as well. • Currently, I downloaded the additional modules for OpenMRS and copied the ‘omod’ files into the destination folder. • Post that I used ‘mvn jetty:run’ from the webapp folder and am having troubles with the compilation.

Before adding the additional modules to the ‘.OpenMRS’ I was able to get the application running but am unable to do so. Please find the error message below and would appreciate any help or advice in this regard.

ERROR - Listener.contextInitialized(200) |2020-10-15T11:22:19,601| Failed to obtain JDBC connection org.openmrs.module.ModuleException: Unable to start OpenMRS. Error thrown was: org.openmrs.api.APIException: Service not found: interface org.openmrs.scheduler.SchedulerService

@seshasowri which version of openmrs standalone and java are you running ?

Can you also share the details of the full error logs using https://pastebin.com/

From your description, it sounds as though you’ve downloaded the openmrs-core project from Git and are running from there. Not exactly the most advisable way to do things, but that can be made to work.

If you are, in fact, using the latest version from Git, then it’s very likely that one or more of the modules you’ve downloaded simply haven’t been made compatible with the latest update to the openmrs-core project, as we only tend to ensure that sort of compatibility when we get close to a release.

Your best bet for a way forward would be to checkout the 2.3.1 tag and run that, as that’s the latest released version that comes bundled with the RefApp. To do that, just run git checkout tags/2.3.1. You’ll probably need to wipe the database you setup, as we don’t have automated support for rolling back database versions and there are some substantial changes in the 2.4.x line of openmrs-core, but then things should hopefully work.

If you want module versions that work with the latest openmrs-core, you can download them from: https://ci.openmrs.org/build/result/artifactUrlRedirect.action?planKey=REFAPP-OMODDISTRO&buildNumber=10456&artifactName=referenceapplication-addons-snapshot

@seshasowri are you still blocked by this, I can spare in some minutes on uber conference call to get you running

Hi @ibacher !

I am facing a similar issue that I am trying to resolve by following your advice (checking out tag/2.3.1 and proceeding from there).

My goal is to build the platform from the source code and install all the required modules to get a setup similar to the demo reference application. From there, I wish to study the code and make certain changes (add new fields to patient registration).

Would it be possible for you to suggest the most advisable way to do this (or let me know if I am on the right track).

Many thanks!

Well, my initial recommendation would be to get things setup using the OpenMRS SDK rather than building from source yourself. That way you can focus on particular modules that you need to work on rather than trying to build the whole application (the OpenMRS RefApp is somewhere ~40 modules).

Note that if your point is just to add or modify fields in the registration form, you don’t even need to do anything with the module source code and can work with just some JSON editing.

1 Like