Importance of Test Execution and Collaboration for Reliable Code Integration

Dear OpenMRS Community,

I hope this message finds you well. I would like to address an issue that has come to my attention and highlight the importance of adhering to our testing processes for successful code integration.

Recently, we have observed instances where pull requests are being merged without proper consideration of test failures, particularly in our End-to-End tests. This practice has resulted in subsequent test failures on other PRs, leading to a cycle of developers overlooking the importance of thorough testing altogether.

As a reminder, it is the responsibility of every developer to ensure that test cases are updated or new ones are added within the same PR when implementing or modifying a feature. This ensures that the integrity of our codebase is maintained and that the risk of undetected issues is minimized.

Ignoring test failures can have severe consequences on the stability and reliability of our software. It not only hampers the confidence we have in our product but also disrupts the collaborative efforts of our team members who rely on accurate test results to make informed decisions during development.

To address this issue effectively, I kindly request the following actions from all contributors:

1. Developers: Please take the time to thoroughly review test results before merging PRs. If failures are encountered, investigate and resolve them before proceeding with the merge. It is crucial to prioritize the quality of our codebase and not compromise it for the sake of expediency.
  2. QA Team: We encourage you to proactively engage with developers during the review process. Provide timely feedback regarding test failures, suggesting improvements and collaborating on finding solutions. Together, we can ensure that our testing efforts are comprehensive and effective.
  3. Community Members: If you notice instances of test failures being ignored or overlooked, please bring it to the attention of the relevant parties, including the QA team or project leads. Open communication is essential for maintaining the integrity of our testing processes and improving the quality of our software.

By fostering a culture of collaboration and prioritizing the importance of testing, we can collectively contribute to the stability and reliability of OpenMRS. Let us reaffirm our commitment to delivering high-quality software that positively impacts the lives of millions around the world.

Thank you for your attention, understanding, and dedication to the OpenMRS mission. Together, we can ensure the continued success of our project.

cc: @grace @ibacher @dennis @vasharma05 @dkayiwa @anjisvj @raff @hadijah315 @piumal1999 @ayushmishra @randila

6 Likes

Thanks @jayasanka for this reminder :bell:

1 Like

Your information is noted, hope its put into practice

1 Like