IHE Interoperability Patient Administration Management Midterm Presentation

Hi All,

Here is my mid term presentation for IHE Module.

This project aims to to send information about each patient that is registered in the OpenMRS system to a Health Information Exchange. This will allow OpenMRS to integrate into an HIE more easily.

This video will brief you about,

• Introduction to IHE Module
  • Status of the project
  • Next phase of the module
  • Code walk through
  • Demo

Please feel free to leave comments/suggestions.

Regards Sara

5 Likes

Sara, thanks for the update!! Great job so far! A couple of questions for you:

1. Can you show an example of a message generated as per the PAM profile? Can you also show the latest version of a message you have created inside OpenMRS? :smile:
  2. Does the PAM specify an ADT message type?
  3. Does the PAM profile require MLLP protocol? IE, could you send over IP or a web service instead?

…and also:

1. Why did you choose to work on this project?
  2. What has been your favorite part of the experience so far?
  3. What has been the thing you’ve least liked about this internship so far?
  4. Do you feel comfortable participating on the mailing lists and OpenMRS communication channels? If not, what could we do to make that a more comfortable thing for you going forward?
  5. What profession do you want to have for your career? Does health informatics interest you? :smile:
1 Like

Hi @sara … in addition to Paul’s questions, I have a few more community-related questions (big surprise, huh?) for you. :slight_smile:

1. This is not your first year working with OpenMRS during Google Summer of Code. Can you share with others here what inspired you to come back again this summer?
  2. Both last year and this year, what strategies do you find most useful in helping to solve problems that you face when you come across them?
  3. I know you do some teaching in your spare time with younger people. (Perhaps someday you’ll be a GSoC mentor!) What do you think are important skills for mentors or teachers to have?

Look forward to hearing more from you. Thanks for sharing!

Hi @paul

Thank you!

1. Yes, here is a message which I have created for a patient registered in OpenMRS. MSH|^~\&|TestSendingSystem||||||^A05^ADT A05||||123 PID|||||Martin^Steve|^Indian|Tue Jan 01 00:00:00 IST 1980|||^RACE-BH|&14 Park street^^Hyderabad^AP^50001^India|||||^MARRIED|||||||Delhi|||^Indian

2. PAM specifies ADT_A05 message type.

3. Yes, PAM requires to send message over MLLP. We are also planning to support PIX profile (hopefully if time permits!), then we will be posting the HL7 data in XML format to an HTTP endpoint, as is currently done in OpenHIE.

4. Well, I spend most of my spare time working on children’s health and education. After working closely with such students I understand that health and education are very closely related. I see students unable to concentrate on studies as they are mostly on an empty stomach. This project aims to provide interoperability between systems which holds great advantages, especially for LMICs. As an engineer I feel this is my share of contribution which I will deliver to the best of my abilities.

5. It has connected me with many like minded people, who share similar interests. When I am stuck at some point, there are a whole bunch of people who are ready to help me out!

6. Hmm… A difficult question to answer. Sometimes the time zones can drive one crazy. But I guess when working at an international platform, that isn’t really a big issue.

7. Well the OpenMRS mailing list is great. Its has always been my savior! :wink:

8. Yes, health informatics is something I am keen about. Also areas like cyber security interest me.

I hope I have answered all your questions! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @michael

I will be more than happy to answer your questions!!

1. Today top health care is vested as a privilege to very few in the society. I feel every individual has a right to have good health care. This is something which connects me to OpenMRS. Another reason to be back is that, during my Engineering, the syllabus pattern is designed such that we don’t really get a chance of working with a real time system. GSoC gives a platform to students, to work in real time.
  2. IRC and the mailing list are 2 places which can solve most of the problems a student faces. For anyone who is new and is working on OpenMRS, should make use of these platforms. Students should understand its better to have discussion and get the problem solved, than spending days, breaking your head over it. (This doesn’t mean you push all your tasks to the mailing list! :wink: ) You can also share your ideas of implementation over the mailing list, to be sure you are on the right track. Its always good to make a plan.

Understand the problem Do someone research
Try finding if someone has worked on something similar
Seek help from the community

And most importantly, your mentor is always there to help you! Make your mentor aware about your roadblocks. 3. Some skills of a good teacher… well patience I guess is very essential (Sometimes you can just loose your cool :wink: ). Also teacher a needs to create a bond with the student, for them to work comfortably.

I hope someday I will mentor a GSoC project! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @sara

Are you also using ORU_R01 HL7 message for communicating health data or just ADA_A05 ? The project is very similar to the one I did as my college project. We emulated patient’s health card on his smartphone and synced it with OpenMRS everytime a visit to a clinic is made and patient’s phone communicated with the reader attached to provider’s system. This ensured interoperability between hospitals.

1 Like

Hi Ujjwal,

I am using ADT_A05 hl7 message. As PAM structure specifies to use A05 message. This project basically aims at providing interoperability between health systems.

@sara, thanks for the presentation.

• You may want to review our Module Conventions for module IDs. A module ID should follow java package naming conventions (e.g., all lowercase); if you need to add tables, any tables created by the module should be prefixed with moduleid_; etc. You can search modules in github/openmrs for examples of module IDs and corresponding repository names.

• Do you think you’ll have a working copy of your module deployed to the module repository by the end of July?

Sure. Currently I have completed sending succesful PAM message to the simulator. Now I am working on supporting PIX profile also.