How to use git to check out code?

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.
1:compile (default-compile) on project openmrs-tools: Compilation failure
[ERROR] Failure executing javac, but could not parse the error:
[ERROR] javac: invalid target release: 1.8

I am trying to set up the development environment for developing my module. For doing that I followed the instructions from the following URL

https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/projects/Setting+Up+a+Development+Environment+for+OpenMRS+2.x#SettingUpaDevelopmentEnvironmentforOpenMRS2.x-CheckoutOpenMRSCore

I am stuck at the git clone instruction. I am not sure what git commands to use to get to the code which I can compile and run locally.

I am working on building my own test module using 1.11.x version. for OPENMRS 2.x version.

Please list me the git commands in the order so that I can follow them and move ahead.

Thank you for your help on this matter.

Hey @sba370 :smiley:

Do you have the java installed properly? Is tools.jar accessible?

1. Fork the repo
  2. Say git clone < repo link which is on the right side of the repo page named “HTTPS clone URL” > (Ignore the angular quote brackets)
  3. You’ll have the code locally, to compile it on an IDE or just command prompt.

But first make sure you have java installed right :smile:

Hope it helps! :smiley:

Thank you for the response. It was a silly mistake of not checking out the latest branch of 1.11.x , Instead I was working on the MASTER branch.

Oh, I see. And, master branch needs Java 8 :slight_smile: Glad its rectified :thumbsup: