How to set up a basic module with controller

Hello all,

I am looking for some very basic help with trying to build a first module. I have very little experience with java, and also very little understanding of the Spring framework, and for now I’m looking just to make a simple “Hello World” type of module.

I’m basically trying to understand how openmrs/spring controllers work to give a responce to a http request at a url.

Eventually I’m trying to make a module that runs a Dicom query on the server side (using dcm4che) to a PACS system, and returns a list of studies as a JSON response. I think I don’t have the java skill to do this in a ‘correct’ way, so for now I’m aiming for a simple approach that works.

Steps I’ve taken:

1. installed openmrs sdk

2. ran mvn openmrs-sdk:create-project Created a platform 1.12.0 module, gave a name (pacsquery), etc.

3. I belive this bug is affecting me, so I edit omod/src/main/java/org/openmrs/module/pacsquery/web/controller/PacsQueryController.java to use my modules artifactId

/**

• This class configured as controller using annotation and mapped with the URL of

• ‘module/pacsquery/pacsquery.form’. */ @Controller(“pacsquery.PacsQueryController”) @RequestMapping(value = “module/pacsquery/pacsquery.form”) public class PacsQueryController {

/** Logger for this class and subclasses */
       protected final Log log = LogFactory.getLog(getClass());

@Autowired
       UserService userService;

/** Success form view name */
       private final String VIEW = "/module/pacsquery/pacsquery";

/**
        * Initially called after the getUsers method to get the landing form name
        * @return String form view name
        */
       @RequestMapping(method = RequestMethod.GET)
       public String onGet() {
               return VIEW;
       }

4. I run mvn openmrs-sdk:build openmrs-sdk:run -DserverId=tests1

5. I go to http://MYIP:8080/openmrs/module/pacsquery/pacsquery.form and it gives an error, in the console: WARN - DispatcherServlet.noHandlerFound(1108) |2017-06-09 15:34:30,932| No mapping found for HTTP request with URI [/openmrs/module/pacsquery/pacsquery.form] in DispatcherServlet with name 'openmrs'

I’m wondering, what are the steps missing to have a module with a working controller?

Does it work if you change view to? VIEW = “/module/pacsquery/pacsqueryform”

Hi Daniel, Thanks for the input. I found that omod/src/main/resources/config.xml also had placeholder variables in curly braces, for id, name, version and description. Replacing these fixed the issue.