How to develop a new module?

Hi all! I hope you are well now. Recently, I and my team members want to develop a new module on OpenMRS 2.4.0-SNAPSHOT, and we also read this page. And can you tell me how can I access this page after I add the new module to my system?

Besides, we don’t know how to write new JSP files or other front pages and design forms, because, there are so many customised labels in this system, we don’t know how to use them. And, we also don’t know what is ‘gsp’. So would you like to give me a detailed developing file?

In addition, if I want to develop a new module for OpenMRS 2.4.0-SNAPSHOT, should I choose Platform Module or Reference Application Module?

Both will work however if you want to specifically run this module into openmrs instance, you opt referenceapplication, Hope uu are developing the module using openmrs sdk

Thank you. But I want to know where can I learn more things about developing OpenMRS module? Or can you tell me what is ‘gsp’? And where can I find out the whole explanation of tags, like openmrs:message?

@d404d you can have a look at this Creating Your First Module - Documentation - OpenMRS Wiki and this

Groovy Server Pages (or GSP) is the default presentation technology for rendering views, gsps basically help you embedd java coed in HTML pages using tags.

you mean tags used in the gsps?

2 Likes

Yeah, I have finished the tutorial of it. And can you tell me what is ‘gsp’?

Screenshot 2021-05-27 at 16.57.47

Besides, I don’t know how to write a new gsp file, because the content of it has never been touched by me. Can you tell me where can I learn it?

After I write a part of code like this, the server reports ‘UI error’.

Thank you!

for the gsps you can just google about them and how they work, probably read more about them here

The second screen short is talking about the openmrs ui-framework module which introduces a custom user interface framework built on top of Spring MVC and how its used to include different fragments,create gsp pages , you can read more about it here

2 Likes

could you share the error logs

1 Like

Did you get a chance to look at this? OpenMRS 3.0: A Frontend Framework that enables collaboration and better User Experience - Projects - OpenMRS Wiki

1 Like

No, but I will try it! Thank you

Thank you! I’m going to read it and check whether it can help me to catch up

Hi Cliff, can you tell me how can I make my module to interact with the openmrs-core? Thank you!

Or how can I make modules interact with other modules?

@d404d you can have a look at Module Dependencies - Documentation - OpenMRS Wiki and this

1 Like