GSoC 2023: What Happens Now? Community Bonding

Congratulations once again to the talented 9 contributors selected for Google Summer of Code 2023: @deb @randila @jexsie @lumuchris256 @wikumc @elonshubham @mherman22 @ayushmishra @thembo42 . We’re excited to have you on board and can’t wait to see what you will achieve during this program. A huge shoutout to our OpenMRS GSoC mentors and all the students who submitted their applications this year.

As we enter the community bonding period until May 28th, it’s essential to set yourselves up for success. Here’s what you can expect and when you should complete each step:

Firstly, please introduce yourselves on this thread. We’d love to know more about you, specifically:

1. Where are you from/based?
  2. Tell us about your project in a sentence or two.
  3. What’s your Slack and/or IRC/Telegram nickname?
  4. What interests you about OpenMRS?
  5. Tell us one (or more) interesting or fun facts about yourself
  6. Tell us about your previous open source contributions (short and sweet )
  7. Which are the Open source tools/techs that you most preferred to use, introduce to OpenMRS community?

Next, it’s time to get to know your mentors. Reach out to them and schedule an initial meeting. If you’re working with a squad, consider inviting the squad leads to this meeting. During this session, set up a weekly communication plan and review/refine your project timeline and plan.

Be prepared to start blogging! At the end of the bonding period, each contributor should create a blog post about their experience during this time. During the GSoC coding period, you’ll be required to post a blog entry each week. Starting early will help you establish a habit and make the process more comfortable.

Finally, prepare to submit weekly progress reports. These should be quick to complete, but they are essential to keep your project on track and ensure that everything is going well.

We wish you all the best for the upcoming GSoC program and look forward to seeing the great work you’ll produce.

4 Likes

Hello, :heart_eyes:

I’m thrilled to introduce myself to you all! My name is Thembo Jonathan, and I’m a 3rd year software engineering student at Makerere University based in Kampala, Uganda. I’m excited to be a part of this amazing community and contribute to the OpenMRS project.

My project, the Draw On Body Diagram app, is designed to enhance communication between providers and improve overall patient care by allowing for seamless annotation on body diagrams for palliative and physical therapy, resulting in better patient records and diagnosis. I believe it will be embraced by our implementers due to its user-friendly interface.

My Slack name is Thembo Jonathan, and I am looking forward to connecting with the OpenMRS community.

I am drawn to OpenMRS because of the supportive and wonderful community members. One fun fact about me is that I am afraid my PC’s hardware may fault, and I’m not very skilled in hardware maintenance :smile:

OpenMRS has been a great kickstart to my open source contribution journey, and I am eager to introduce more tools that will take the OpenMRS community forward. Some of the tools I currently use on a daily basis are GitHub/Git, Docker, React, Java and many others that I believe will be useful in achieving OpenMRS’s objectives like experimenting with Vite and Turbo for tooling and Zustand for state management.

Curious about tRPC, Astro and Svelte, AI/ML, Cloud infratructure etc

Write Code Save Lives!!

@dkayiwa @jayasanka @heshan @jnsereko @jwnasambu @mozzy @grace @jesplana @pauladams @cduffy etc… :raised_hands:

8 Likes

Congrats, and best of luck to the next step. I’ve always believed in you.

2 Likes

I am humbled dear.

Thank you

Hi there, I am Deborah Kalungi and I am based in Uganda. My project involves adding a “Print this” feature in O3 that allows users to select what they want to print, such as a medication list or recent labs, with implementation varying based on user needs. You can find me on Slack as deb. I find the quality of code in OpenMRS fascinating, and I love that contributors range from junior to senior. An interesting fact about me is that I often imagine how serious-looking adults looked like when they were four and it makes me laugh. In terms of previous open source contributions, I had to debug a challenging ticket (O3-1245) that took me over a week to solve, but it turned out to be a one-line PR that I submitted (Fix bug: Opening a form resets the patient chart view by nanfuka · Pull Request #695 · openmrs/openmrs-esm-patient-chart · GitHub). I prefer using OpenMRS REST API as an open source tool/tech.

4 Likes

Hello community members :heart:

I am currently based in India and pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and Engineering, currently in my 4th year.

My project involves contributing to the Android client & SDK of Open MRS. You can read more about it here

You can find me on Slack as Shubham.

What interests me most about Open MRS is its humanitarian mission to provide affordable and accessible healthcare solutions to all communities through the power of technology.

One interesting fact about me is my typing speed which is 100+ wpm

In terms of open-source contributions, I have only contributed to OpenMRS so far.

My preferred tools and technologies for open-source development are Kotlin, Java, and various Android libraries.

I am really looking forward to contribute to my project. Cheers! :smiley:

6 Likes

Great to meet you @thembo42 , @deb , and @elonshubham ! We’re excited to have you onboard for GSoC 2023. Thembo’s project sounds like a game-changer, Deborah’s diversity of contributors in the community is impressive, and Shubham’s typing speed is out of this world :astonished:!

Also, we’re excited to announce that the onboarding session for both mentors and students will take place today at 2023-05-05T12:00:00Z. This session will provide valuable information on how to effectively continue working on your projects, as well as an opportunity to welcome our little champions! We look forward to seeing you all there!

Link: Launch Meeting - Zoom

Good luck with your projects, and we can’t wait to see the great work you’ll produce! :star_struck:

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

I am Ayush from India, currently pursuing my B.Tech in Electronics and Communication Engineering. I am thrilled to be part of this community and excited to contribute to the OpenMRS project.

My project focuses on enhancing the component test coverage for OpenMRS, a critical endeavor that aims to elevate the overall quality and stability of the system. By implementing a well-documented and thoroughly researched testing strategy, my work will instill confidence in developers regarding the features they develop.

My slack name is Ayush. Looking forward to interact with community and engage in some awesome discussions.

One aspect that instantly caught my attention is OpenMRS’s powerful and empathetic tagline: ‘write code save lives.’ It summarises the profound impact and purpose behind our collective efforts. Further I also like and appreciate the supportive culture of the OpenMRS community.

A lighthearted fun fact insight about me is that I tend to embrace the excitement of deadlines by demonstrating a knack for working efficiently under time constraints.

In the past, I have made contributions to few projects, gaining valuable experience along the way. The contribution was in react based project.

I use Open Source tools quite often few preferable are React, JavaScript, TypeScript, and Jest.

I am grateful for the opportunity to be part of this community and look forward to engaging with fellow contributors, exchanging knowledge, and making a positive impact together.

4 Likes

I am really excited to participate in GSOC and contribute to this amazing community. I am Wikum Weerakutti, 2nd Year Information System Student from the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka.

My project is about improving the OpenMRS developer experience by updating the SDK. This project aims to improve the OpenMRS SDK to support the evolving needs of OpenMRS development.

My Slack account name is Wikum Weerakutti.

OpenMRS is my starting point for open-source contributions. What makes OpenMRS interesting to me is that its mission to improve healthcare in developing countries.

I have experience working in Java, C#, and Kotlin on both personal and commercial projects.

I am looking forward to work along with this amazing community.

5 Likes

Hey everyone,

I am so excited to participate in this year’s GSoC. My name is Herman Muhereza, and i am based in Kampala Uganda.

I use mherman22 on slack,github and talk as my nickname. OpenMRS has made it possible for me to learn as i contribute to its continuity and objective which is write code, save lives.

I will be working with the Fhir Squad on the project FHIR: Add support for FHIR PATCH operations which ensures that the translated resources can support patch operations in addition to the already supported operations.

Previously i have contributed to the QA squad, served as a platform 2.6.0 release manager aswell contributing to the platform team objectives by writing code.

My interraction with OpenMRS has increased my desire to further take the line of health informatics with the aim of making patient care a seemless process

I prefer using tools like java, spring, hibernate, mysql and anyother technology in that line. I love working with vscode and intellij idea as my IDEs.

Thanks,

Herman Muhereza

5 Likes

Congratulations @mherman22 wish you all the best as you contribute to your project

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I hope this message finds you well. My name is Randila Premarathne, and I am a first-year university student at the University of Westminster in the UK. I’m based in Kandy, Sri Lanka. I am thrilled to be part of the OpenMRS community, which I have grown to love dearly.

For the Google Summer of Code 2023, I will be working on the project titled “Extending E2E Automated Tests for the OpenMRS 3.0 RefApp.” In this project, my main focus will be on patient management, patient chart, and core repositories within the OpenMRS 3.0 RefApp. I will be utilizing the Playwright framework to develop end-to-end tests.

You can find me on Slack under the name “Randila Premarathne.” I was drawn to the OpenMRS community because of its warm and wonderful environment. I have a personal connection to the medical field as both of my parents work in healthcare. While I couldn’t achieve my dream of becoming a doctor, I have been fortunate to work on numerous projects related to the medical field. It brings me joy to contribute to this community and help people in this capacity.

Prior to joining OpenMRS, I had the opportunity to work with Lanka Software Foundation and Sustainable Education Foundation. These experiences have shaped my passion for software development and community-driven projects.

I am incredibly excited about this GSoC journey and the opportunity to learn and grow alongside all of you. I look forward to collaborating with fellow developers and contributing to the success of OpenMRS.

Thank you for your warm welcome, and I am eager to begin this adventure together.

Best regards, Randila Premarathne

@jayasanka @anjisvj @piumal1999 @vasharma05 @grace @hadijah315

5 Likes

:wave: :wave: OPENMRS;

I am Jessie Ssebuliba [@jexsie], a software engineering enthusiast from Masaka, Uganda. I go by jexsie, JESSIE SSEBULIBA, Jessie on GitHub + talk, Jira, and Slack respectively. I am so excited to be part of this community and specifically this GSOC program, working on the Responsiveness and Tablet needs for O3 with @vasharma05 and @kumuditha.

What interests you about OpenMRS?
Openrms is a bit complicated until you get your first PR merged—I know, this won’t make sense to non-devs but take it from me, there is some magic behind that purple status button merged. That strange confidence you get, feeling superior, that’s when statements like ‘am a code Guru’, ‘am a genius’ crowd your mind (before seeing @ibacher’s review :joy:). It is what it is!
What interests me most is mentorship, you can be knowing nothing but still contribute. I don’t know if this is right to say but, correct me if not, @grace honestly speaking, most times we—ok I am told what to do from A to Y then I do Z :face_with_hand_over_mouth:. I don’t think there is anything better than that.

Interesting and Funny facts about me
I love fixing bugs, like tracing down what’s breaking or what someone did wrong.
I like breaking things and then rebuilding them just 'cause am curious why A is A and not B.
I love working on stuff that is beyond my complexity level then ping @vasharma05 and @dennis when am stuck. I have really learned a lot through this strategy.
I like handling a bunch of stuff concurrently, though sometimes I carry overweight.
Lastly, I like chess.

My knowledge is specifically frontend based and so are my contributions. Openmrs is my first open-source community to contribute and I hope to continue my contributions.
I think that's all from me. Thanks, everyone. Much love!!

6 Likes

Hi everyone Greetings,

I am Lumu Christopher, from Kampala Uganda and go by @lumuchris256 on slack , talk and Github . Much excited to be part of this years GSOC .

My project focuses on Refactoring the existing vanilla React forms using the React Hook Form (RHF) library and Zod to improve their performance and maintainability . with @dennis and @hadijah315 as my mentors

One aspect that has always felt great to mention whenever I am asked “what do you do ?” and I reply " I write code to save lives. :slightly_smiling_face: " As it compounds the largest impact efforts here at OpenMRS bring to the health care world.

Some of the tools I currently use are Git, Docker ansible, Nagios with languages React, typescript , java and python

In the past I have made contributions to different opensource organizations and openmrs being my most cherished because of the fast warm diverse community help and support around blockers and my best quote is" The sky is not always the limit but could make a wonderful actual start "

looking forward to working with everyone

warm Regards :grinning: cheers!

4 Likes

Congratulations @lumuchris256, excited to work with you!

interesting read

1 Like