GSoC 2022: What Happens Now? Community Bonding

Once again, congratulations to the 5 contributors(@anjisvj @pasindur2 @kumuditha @piumal1999 @salahoamro) selected for Google Summer of Code 2022! We’re happy to see you all here. And a huge thanks to our OpenMRS GSoC mentors, as well as all of the students who submitted applications this year.

We are now in the community bonding period till 12’th June and this is the time to set yourselves up for success. Here is a run down of what comes next - and when you should complete each next step.

Introductions. Please respond to this thread and introduce yourselves! We’d love to know more about you, specifically:

1. Where are you from/based?
  2. Tell us about your project in a sentence or two.
  3. What’s your Slack and/or IRC/Telegram nickname?
  4. What interests you about OpenMRS?
  5. Tell us one (or more) interesting or fun facts about yourself
  6. Tell us about your previous open source contributions (short and sweet )
  7. Which are the Open source tools/techs that you most preferred to use, introduce to OpenMRS community?

Get to know your mentors. Contact your mentors and set up an initial meeting. If you are also working with a squad, consider inviting the squad leads to join this initial meeting as well. Here are two things to cover during this initial meeting:

• Set up a schedule & agree on a plan to communicate on a weekly basis
  • Review and refine your project plan and timeline

Get ready to blog! At the end of the bonding period,each contributor is expected to create a blog about how they found the bonding phase. Each of you must post a blog entry each week during the GSoC coding period. The sooner you get started, the faster this will become a habit.

Get ready to submit weekly progress reports. The status report shouldn’t take long to complete, but it’s important that this is done at the start of each week to help us ensure your project is on track and make sure that everything is going well.

/cc @herbert24 @jennifer @grace

6 Likes

Hello everyone, I am Amr Salaheddin Abdelhady (you can call me Amr Salah) from Egypt. I study at the Faculty of Engineering, Alexandria University. (1 month left to graduate :mortar_board:)

I will be working on OpenMRS Android Client Project. The project is concerned with the architecture this year; the primary objectives are to migrate the codebase from MVP to MVVM architecture, Java to Kotlin, integrate dependency injections in the project, and increase test coverage.

My Telegram nickname is Amr Salah, username is amrosalaho

I love the idea of dedicating my software engineering efforts to helping people’s lives with the medical record system. I also like the organization in this community and how we help each other.

Interesting thing … well, I am studying Mechanical Engineering field in my faculty, but I target shifting to Software (Android Development) field and I hope GSoC will be an advancing step for this. :smiley:

OpenMRS is my first open-source organization, I started the last year, 2021, and I’ve done some contributions to the Android Project.

I would like to see OpenMRS use Jetpack compose instead of XML for the Android project in the future.

Congratulations to everyone!

8 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Piumal Rathnayake from Sri Lanka. I’m currently a 3rd-year Undergraduate at the Faculty of Engineering, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka. Studying Computer Engineering as my field of specialization.

I have been selected for the Project “Microfrontending the OCL Module and Reduce Backend Dependencies”. This project aims to rebuild the existing OWA-Based OCL subscription module as an OMRS 3.x Admin Tool with modern micro frontend technologies.

My Slack username: Piumal Rathnayake

I am really interested in open source communities, so I joined OpenMRS to work with this world-class open-source organisation. I could learn many new things in the time I have been here. This is the second time I’m being selected for Google Summer of Code. I worked on the OpenMRS DHIS Connector Module during last year’s GSoC.

I am also working as a Senior Software Engineering at Sustainable Education Foundation which is a volunteer-driven open-source organisation based in Sri Lanka.

I like and prefer using Git and Github for open source development. I literally can’t imagine an open-source world without git and GitHub. At the moment, I don’t have any new tools/techs to be introduced to the OMRS community.

Congratulations to all selected contributors! Thank you!

7 Likes

Hello there, I’m pasindu Rupasinghe from Sri Lanka. I’m following the Information Systems degree program as a 3rd years student at the University of Colombo School of Computing Sri Lanka. Software Engineering is my major stream.

I got selected for the project “Improving 3.X E2E test”. My Proposal for the project. The project is to improve the current 3.X automated E2E test framework. Currently the 3.X E2E automated test framework is under some sort of limitations and a set of issues. The testing framework can be improved by making the tests more reliable and extending the tests for 3.X.

My Slack name - Pasindu Rupasinghe Telegram Username - PasinduSriR

The best part of this organization is the heading Write code save lives . I love to help people and this is a huge opportunity to help people with what I’m learning. Also need to mention the community inside the OpenMRS. The community helps me to work on the organization for a while.

Also, I’m working as a Software Engineering at Sustainable Education Foundation which is a volunteer-driven open-source organization based in Sri Lanka. I working there since 2020. And my other open-source experience is OpenMRS.

That’s a little about me. Congratulations to other contributors as well. Thank you! :raised_hands:

8 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Anjula Samarasinghe from Sri Lanka. I’m currently a first year physical science undergraduate at the Faculty of Applied Sciences, University of Sri Jayawardenepura, Sri Lanka.

I have been selected for the Project “Redo legacy cohort builder” project where I will be rebuilding the cohort builder as a microfrontend module for openMRS 3.x. The Cohort Builder is a tool in OpenMRS 1.0 in the Reporting Compatibility module (included with most OpenMRS installations) that lets the user perform ad-hoc queries for patients with defined characteristics, and combines multiple queries into more complex ones.

My Slack name - Anjula Shanaka Telegram Username - anjisvj

I like to learn new technologies and share my knowledge with others. and also I’m a beginner guitarists who mostly like rock and metal. :metal:

I am also working as a Senior Software Engineering at Sustainable Education Foundation since 2019.

That’s about me. Congratulations to everyone! Thank you!

6 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Kumuditha Karunarathna, a first-year Software Engineering Undergraduate at the Informatics Institute of Technology, Sri Lanka affiliated with the University of Westminster, UK.

I will be working on the project “Next Generation Form Builder UI for the OpenMRS Community”. The purpose of this project is to redo the Ampath form builder with react.js and improve the UI and the user experience of the Ampath form builder.

My Slack username: Kumuditha, Telegram: kumudithaudayanga

Contributing to an opensource Medical Records System that is used in a number of countries around the world is quite appealing. I’ve learned a lot since I first joined the community. Furthermore, the OpenMRS community is really helpful and engaging to work with.

I have worked on a few projects of the FOSSASIA organization as a part of GCI 2019. And I am currently working as a Associate Software Engineer at Sustainable Education Foundation (SEF).

Congratulations to all of the contributors who were selected! Thank you!

6 Likes