GSOC 2021: People Management

Hi, I’m interested in participating GSoC 2021 and I’m zealous in modernizing people management UI of the admin dashboard. I have had a glance at the basic requirements for this project and seen the previous version.

I created this thread to help answer questions and worries for myself and anyone interested in this project topic.

Best regards. cc @ibacher , @achilep

3 Likes

hi @joachimjunior feel comfortable asking your questions. :smiley: Meanwhile, have you looked at these links?

GSoC 2021- Guidelines for interested students and GSoC 2021: People Management - Projects - OpenMRS Wiki

Thanks @achilep. I just had a walkover it. I’ll look through again.

Hi @achilep, Sorry for disturbing. Please I’ve a worried. I was going through the DEMO application. I noticed it’s version 3.0 of OpenMRS and the screenshots in the guy is OpenMRS version 2.x. As a result, there are many changes on UI which is just but normal.

Now my question is : is “managements accounts” in OpenMRS 2.x thesame as “Manage Module in” in OpenMRS 3.0 ?

Sorry I meant screenshots in the guide not guy

Hi @achilep, Sorry for disturbing. Please I’ve a worry. I was going through the DEMO application. I noticed it’s version 3.0 of OpenMRS and the screenshots in the project documentation guide is OpenMRS version 2.x. As a result, there are many changes on the UI which is just but normal.

Now my question is; Is “managements accounts” in OpenMRS 2.x thesame as “Manage Module” in OpenMRS 3.0 ?

Hi, I think everything it’s fine now. I noticed all locations during login don’t have same options after login. I chose the impatient ward location and saw the “Manage Accounts” option.

Hi, I’m a little confused here. I have a question.

• Modernizing the admin dashboard, does it apply to OpenMRS version 3.0 or 2.x ? The question is because as sample example on this project documentataion, screenshots of OpenMRS version 2.x were used.

• Now my second question, the goal is to modernize the dashboard using react typescript and carbon design. Now looking at the front end of the former, part was implemented with Angular. So is the project concerned with creating a new UI and connecting with the existing rest end points?

cc @burke, @dkayiwa , @ibacher , @achilep

The work is going to be done for OpenMRS version 3.0

Yes. And where end points do not exist, we shall have to create them.

1 Like

Thank you very much @dkayiwa for helping me out on this. So for what I have understood the frontend doesn’t depend solely on OpenMRS. So anyone can come up with a micro- frontend design and use the rest endpoints to feed the frontend ?

Thanks @dkayiwa , @joachimjunior For a better understanding of the MicroFrontend, I encourage you to take time to go through these resources:

1. OpenMRS 3.0: A Frontend Framework that enables collaboration and better User Experience - Projects - OpenMRS Wiki .
  2. openmrs-esm-core/VIDEOS.md at master · openmrs/openmrs-esm-core · GitHub
  3. openmrs-esm-core/docs at master · openmrs/openmrs-esm-core · GitHub
1 Like

Hi @achilep, thank you for the resources.

I have succeeded in running OpenMRS version 3.0 locally. I think I’ll continue from there. Thank you @dkayiwa, @herbert24, @achilep.

Well from the source code and interface. I think I have many answers to the questions I had in mind. Now I can see the implementation of the UI with React typescript and carbon design for some components.

Now, my question is, please can I just continue with the improvements in the already existing UI or it is necessary to implement a New UI ?

cc @ibacher @dkayiwa

Also, “modernizing” does it entail adding new interfaces where necessary to the Admin dashboard ? If yes, please are they mockups or UI Designs as sample of what is expected. So that we don’t exceed project scope ?

A few notices, we are still at the initial stages of GSOC and we haven’t yet selected any GSOC student to take on any project hope these are clear to you GSoC 2021- Guidelines for interested students

1 Like