GSoC 2021: Android Client 3.0.x

Hey everyone! I am Shivam Sawlani, an under-graduate student at BITS Pilani, Goa, India currently in my second year. I am actively participating and contributing to OpenMRS since January. Glad to be part of such a supportive community.

I am interested in the Android client 3.0.x project and I am planning to participate in GSoC’21 under OpenMRS. Currently, I am preparing a draft for my proposal and was going through the project page on wiki and had a few queries regarding the same. It would be great if someone could help me out.

1. Making the app easily extendable, i.e. Abstracting out common functionalities which almost all implementers would require into a jitpack library. I went through this talk but could not understand much what has to be done and how this can be implemented. If someone could explain this then it would be really helpful.
  2. Integrate more components of the web app to the client. I compared the reference app and the android client app and did a bit of research and found out that these components are missing in the android app –
  • Appointment Scheduling
  • Adding Phone Number and Relatives field in the register patient section
  • Reset password
  • Adding a new location.

Is there any other component that should be added in the android app?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

cc @herbert24 @rishabh997 @saurabh

2 Likes

It would be great if someone could help me out as I am not able to proceed further with my proposal. @herbert24 @saurabh @rishabh997

@sawsh02 I think the requirements are pretty clear you need to research a bit about implementation and describe the same in your Project proposal, how do we make android client more extendable. This talk describes the problem that we currently face that dosent tell you what you need to do. Using jitpack libraries is one such solution which you can explore further.

you can get further reviews from the mentor after submitting a draft of your proposal on the GSOC Dashboard.

Thanks, @saurabh. I will come up with solutions for the problem and add them to the draft of my proposal. Then I will modify them if needed after getting feedback from the mentor.

Hello everyone!

I have submitted a draft of my proposal for review on the GSoC platform. I would request all the project mentors and GSoC administrators to kindly have a look and provide their valuable feedback.

Thank you!! cc @grace @herbert24 @jennifer @mozzy @rishabh997 @jwnasambu

well noted

1 Like