GSoC 2019 : Student application period starts today

Hi Students & Mentors,

According to the GSoC timeline, the student application period starts today onwards and will end in 09th April (25 March - 09 April) . During this period, Students will prepare their proposals for projects and submit for mentor reviews to improve it.

Students can submit your proposal into GSoC Dashboard as a draft to get the mentor’s review or comments to improve it more. Once you did with your proposal improvements, you can submit your final proposal. We encourage you to prepare a draft and submit for the draft section in the early days. Please don’t expect a mentor to review your proposals in last or before last day of the deadlines - We won’t make it. So active and prepare it as early as possible.

Proposal Preparation Guidelines for an OpenMRS Project

You should have communicated in advance with the potential mentors listed in here to prepare one or more project proposals (You can submit a maximum of 3 proposals). These are the requirements, we expect from a student to identify their potential capacity for the project.

1. The proposal must describe in detail how you would plan to approach the project.
  2. It must include goals and a draft timeline along with your planning and outcomes.
  3. Better to include diagrams than a length paragraph.
  4. Attach the planned workflow of your plan, and draft screenshots (if you have)
  5. Any new ideas to add into the project (if you have)

In addition to the project proposal, you need to respond to the following questions:

1. Who are you? What are you studying?

2. Why are you the right person for this project?

3. Describe in detail your software development experience by various technologies. Include all the technologies you have used for development projects.

4. List any previous experience working with open source projects other than OpenMRS. (This experience is not a requirement.)

5. Provide links to any projects created by you, or other source code examples.

6. Provide the URL to your OpenMRS Talk profile page.

7. You must have made at least two coding contributions to OpenMRS before submitting your proposal. Please include in your proposal all relevant issue numbers, pull requests, commit links, etc as a table. If you don’t include this information, your proposal will not be reviewed. It’s not necessary for your pull requests to be merged; we just want to see that you’ve made some effort to learn the basics about OpenMRS development.

Issue Number Project Pull Request Link Status
    TRUNK-XX OpenMRS Core https://<link> In Progress
    TOTAL XX
  8. You must have made at least three pull request reviews before submitting your proposal. If you don’t include this information, your proposal will not be reviewed.

Project Pull Request Link What are the issues/suggestions/improvements which you mentioned in the review?
    OpenMRS Core https://<link> Just 1 - 2 line summary or 2 bullet points are enough. Don’t write paragraphs here
    TOTAL : XX
  9. Describe your interactions with our community so far, and include any IRC nicknames used when visiting our channel previously (Additional, Include dates of developer forums, project meetings, design meetings you have attended).

10. What is your preferred method of contact and how should we reach you with it? (phone, email, IRC, IM, etc.)

11. Do you have any other commitments during the program? (Include any and all holidays, vacations, travel, exams, classes, research projects, other work, job offers, etc.)

12. Have you participated in the Google Summer of Code before? If yes, please mention the year, respected Organization, and your final result(Pass/Fail). - It will not affect your current application, we just wanted to make sure your attempts.

13. Are you planning to mentor for a Google Summer of Code Project this year(2019) in any other organizations? If yes, please mention the respected organization name. You can’t be a student and mentor for same year.

P.S : All personal information which is required in the above questions will be kept inside the OpenMRS and only used for the relevant matters. So you should be aware that you are providing some personal information to reach or represent you while applying here.

“MUST BE” Requirments

1. Project Plan
  2. Timeline with outcomes
  3. Pull Requests and Code Reviews information

If you have any questions, please raise it in the talk or in the respected threads to clarify.

Good luck students :slight_smile:

Thanks.

10 Likes

HI @suthagar23 thanks for these informations, i noticed that the end of application period is 06 April in your post. Isn’t it 09 April like the one on the GSOC site?https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/

Thanks @andu033, I have edited to Apr 09! :smile:

1 Like

Thanks @suthagar23 for this write up, it’s awesome.

Hi all,

I have edited the Proposal Requirements for a GSoC Project. Please have a look into #12 and #13 points.

Wiki Page : GSoC Application Requirements - OpenMRS Wiki

Thanks

@suthagar23 Thanks for the tips and for sharing

Thanks a lot @suthagar23 for guidelines. They were much needed :sweat_smile:

Thanks a lot @suthagar23 for the guidelines.

@suthagar23, Should the project proposal follow this format?

@suthagar23, Should the project proposal follow this format?

I can’t see any proposal guidelines or proposal format in the given link. What do you mean?

@deepak140596 Your Proposal can be of any format you wish. But try to include all points mentions in this One. @suthagar23 am I Correct with this?

Like the proposal should follow topics and headings in the following way: Abstract, Deliverables, Timeline, Implementation, Approach

Nice to have those :slight_smile:. As I said earlier, you can plan and prepare your proposal in a creative way which we expect from the students. So there are no restrictions or boilerplate for the proposal model. Bring those “Must be requirements and other requirements” into your proposal, and make it and polish it as your wish :wink:

Thank you so much. I will try my best for a creative proposal.

@suthagar23 @isears how soon can i expect the mentors to review my proposal after submitting the draft?

@codepoet2017390, you will get it soon with in a day since we need time to go through it :slight_smile: