GSoC 2019 - OpenMRS Atlas 3.1 - Final Evaluation

Project: OpenMRS Atlas 3.1

Primary Mentor: Burke Mamlin

Backup Mentor: Harsha Kumara

Student: Sai Sandeep Mutyala

Project Link: https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/projects/Atlas+3.1+Project

Overview

As OpenMRS infrastructure moved towards using LDAP, the PHP implementation of Atlas started to break. Efforts on converting Atlas to Node were started in a previous year’s GSoC project, where most of the front-end was setup. The objective of the project is to fix the missing pieces in the Node version of Atlas, and also integrate Atlas with the Atlas module. A lot of new features were also implemented as part of this project.

Objectives

Primary

Additional

Contributions

openmrs-contrib-atlas:

Here’s my list of contributions to the repository.

openmrs-module-atlas:

Here’s my PR on making the Atlas module work with Atlas.

Weekly Blog Posts

Resources

Important Links

Mid-term Presentation

Future Work

• The interface still uses Bootstrap 3, and could be upgraded.
  • Transferring of marker ownership could be implemented.

Thoughts on GSoC

I had always been curious about contributing to open source, but didn’t get into it until I heard about GSoC. I didn’t know I’d enjoy it so much until I started contributing to OpenMRS around the beginning of March.

My primary mentor @burke has been really responsive and supportive throughout the GSoC period, and made my experience pleasant. Under his guidance, I feel like we managed to do more than what we had set out to do. I also learned a lot about open-source practices, got a bit of experience with CI/CD (Thank you @cintiadr!), etc.

I’d like to thank the OpenMRS community and Google for this opportunity, and for giving me a fun and productive summer. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This is great work.

1 Like

@heliostrike, I’ve really enjoyed working with you this summer. You’ve consistently delivered work ahead of schedule and exceeded expectations! I hope this is just the beginning of your journey with open source coding and you’ll choose to stick around the OpenMRS community! Great job!!! :smile:

1 Like

This is great @heliostrike surely you are a head of schedule. Thanks for the good work, I hope you will stick around OpenMRS for more contribution. :fireworks:

1 Like

I’m so so happy with this GSoC! It’s really special to have atlas back, and get it delivered well to production.

2 Likes

Me too! I now know git beyond add, push ,and commit. I also learned some node, some server stuff, and the phrase ‘Stack Overflow Oriented Programming’. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Plus 100! Thank you so much for making this happen, @heliostrike!

1 Like

And now it’s time for @heliostrike’s mic drop…

2 Likes