GSoC 2018 - Early Notice - First Evaluations

To all GSoC students, please take note that the first round of project evaluations opens next week Monday, 11 June, with the due date later in the week on the 15th June.

Evaluations occur three times through the course of the program (after the first, second and third months of coding), and provide an opportunity for both students and mentors to evaluate progress on your project. Details will follow early next week once evaluations open, but this will require you to complete a set of survey questions on the GSoC site. For the second and final evaluations, you will also be expected to provide demo materials and presentations of your projects.

Please make sure to read through the section on Evaluations in the GSoC student guide to familiarise yourselves with how these work. To get an idea of the types of questions you’ll need to answer for each evaluation, there’s a list of example questions here:

Importantly, if you do not submit an evaluation within the given timeframe, you will fail and be removed from the program. Similarly, failing an evaluation means you are immediately removed from the GSoC program.

3 Likes

Hi @danfuterman,

During previous two weeks, I had faced an issue on my laptop (I already talk with my mentors). Therefore I have to manage my works with a computer from the university. My evaluation forms were delayed 2nd week around 12 hours and 3rd week around 6 hours. So were there having any inconvenience for that evaluation process, I hope your reply about that?

Importantly, if you do not submit an evaluation within the given timeframe, you will fail and be removed from the program. Similarly, failing an evaluation means you are immediately removed from the GSoC program.

I’m really worried that :worried:

Hi @milan, the evaluations I’m referring to in this post are managed by GSoC, and are different to the weekly status reports that you’re referring to.

The weekly status report is an internal (OpenMRS) tool to allow us to monitor progress and identify issues early on. Submitting these late does not mean you will automatically fail, but we do take this into account during formal evaluations.

The evaluations that I’m referring to in this post are managed by GSoC and need to be submitted on the GSoC site. The deadlines for submitting these are final and no late submissions are accepted on the GSoC site. If a student misses the deadline for one of these evaluations, the decision is made by GSoC to fail the student. This is the reason for this post, to let students know early on that it’s critical you submit your evaluations on time.

I hope that clears things up for you.

I’m clear now :smile:

Thanks @danfuterman